Close

Default Off Road Exhaust help - ford part number research

So I am in the process of getting out lots of parts I have bought over the years to get the 4eye back on the road. Many years ago I bought this off road exhaust on ebay from a guy who said he bought it from Bondurant racing when they sold some NOS parts they had lying around. He said they had bullet mufflers welded in and you can see in the photos something not normally there is there.

I have emailed the pictures to Bondurant but no one took the time to respond or even acknowledge that I sent them an email. I have done the usual Google search but you will see from the photos that these do not look like high flow cats but do look like some type of muffler system.

Take a look and see if anyone has any info or comments to add. I am putting them on the car but did want to know a little more about them. There are no less than 6 different part numbers or codes on them.

Thanks for helping out.
    302_muchName:  20181004_194751.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  141.4 KBName:  IMG_20181004_195032.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  151.1 KBName:  20181004_171808.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  116.6 KB
    FOLLOW MY RESTORATION ON INSTAGRAM @302_much

1986 Mustang GT Hatchback
    Tan interior, 151,000 miles, acquired in March 1988, cold air intake, Bondurant Racing H pipe with built in bullet mufflers where cats should be, MAC shorty headers, pro 5.0 shifter, slotted front rotors, cobra wheels, chrome strut tower, white face gauges and more to come. Complete restoration in progress started September 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by smwmustang View Post
    So I am in the process of getting out lots of parts I have bought over the years to get the 4eye back on the road. Many years ago I bought this off road exhaust on ebay from a guy who said he bought it from Bondurant racing when they sold some NOS parts they had lying around. He said they had bullet mufflers welded in and you can see in the photos something not normally there is there.

I have emailed the pictures to Bondurant but no one took the time to respond or even acknowledge that I sent them an email. I have done the usual Google search but you will see from the photos that these do not look like high flow cats but do look like some type of muffler system.

Take a look and see if anyone has any info or comments to add. I am putting them on the car but did want to know a little more about them. There are no less than 6 different part numbers or codes on them.

Thanks for helping out.
    302_muchName:  20181004_194751.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  141.4 KBName:  IMG_20181004_195032.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  151.1 KBName:  20181004_171808.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  116.6 KB

UPDATE: I have emailed Roush Industries as they built the Mustangs for Bondurant. Maybe they can help.

Tan interior, 151,000 miles, acquired in March 1988, cold air intake, Bondurant Racing H pipe with built in bullet mufflers where cats should be, MAC shorty headers, pro 5.0 shifter, slotted front rotors, cobra wheels, chrome strut tower, white face gauges and more to come. Complete restoration in progress started September 2020.

FEP Senior Member

Bondurant went bankrupt a couple of years ago. I think they reopend recently, but not the same people. The service part numbers are 1994 Mustang.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Yeah, just by the part number alone, these could not have been made for a "true" Fox. Even though the '94 IS sorta, kinda a Fox still but also not really.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

UPDATE

After sending an email to Roush Racing months ago, out of the blue I finally got a response. I had found out that Roush modified the Mustangs that Bondurant Racing used in the late 80's and early 90's. I sent the email with photos and asked if anyone had any info.

Here is the response I received:

These were custom fabricated by Roush during our involvement with the Bondurant program, using the Mustang Ford service part as a starting point. These parts are one-offs and no replacement parts exist.

So that was at least good news as I did buy what I was told they were. They area also bullet mufflers welded in as you can put a light in one end and see all the way through. May have to modify the brackets to make it work but all my research shows there is a way!

Here is a better photo.

Name:  20201105_182943.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  158.3 KB