Close

Default Dead 85 gt,no sound no crank when turning key

Hey everyone I need help, I have a 85gt 5spd carb mostly stock other than exhaust.
    Ok so I admit I haven’t started my car in awhile so when I did there was no sound or anything
    Btw it’s a brand new battery I just installed b4 cranking?? Tapped starter & nothing check wires still nothing I have a complete overhaul planned but I can’t get her running sooo frustrated what am I missing here?

Neutral safety switch?

No, I disabled it long time ago. Forgot to mention it will crank slowly if jumping from starter solenoid but no start....

FEP Senior Member

easy stuff first. clean both posts of the battery. look for corrosion at battery, starter relay, starter. if that does not work a VOM can be used. use the battery post for ground. check for voltage when cranking. start at the battery post. then the battery cable end. then the cable end at the starter relay. again looking for voltage. should be about 12.6 at the off stage, about 9 volts (from memory) min when trying to crank. chase all the way to the starter. usualy a bad connection, but have found a bad cable. good luck.

As mentioned above, check all your cables and grounds. Most likely a bad cable, or battery. Battery needs to be a minimum of 12.6 volts and preferably around 13.2 if just off a charger. If voltage drops below about 11.5 when cranking then there is a good chance your battery is bad/weak or your starter is bad/weak. Also make sure your lead is connected on your starter solenoid from the ignition switch. Otherwise your solenoid will not activate and crank the starter over. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

One day when driving in the 80's, ran over a piece of 2x4 or something on the freeway.
    Heard and sort of felt it bang the floor pan somewhere.
    Got to destination (Ford Credit for a car payment).
    Come back out. No start, no starter solenoid click.
    The piece of wood caught separated the trans bu light harness. Was hanging down disconnected.
    Plugged it back in and was on my way.

Ok thanks guys I will check in the am. Before I saw y’all replie I was outside working on her & this is what happened.
    Replaced solenoid then started it got a clicking noise, checked wires tapped alternator started it again still nothing but clicking
    So I jumped car off eventually she started ran for about 20min turned her off went to start up dead again....took battery out
    Went to parts store It tested good.

If the battery tested good and all you were getting was clicking with a new solenoid, then most likely you need to replace the battery cables and/or at least check their connections at both ends. You are not getting good voltage to the solenoid and starter. Double check the grounds that they are clean of rust/paint/dirt/etc. all the cable ends are rust and corrosion free. FYI you can have a break in the cable that will prevent full voltage and not be able to see or find it visually. I generally just put new cables on since they are relatively inexpensive and takes the same amount of work. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller