Close

Default Any tricks for removing Stainless Steel sleeves on the front calipers?

The SS sleeves have been on my car for over 15 years and I've decided to go back to the stock rubber insulators.

Over the years, I've had to replace one of the the caliper pins on the right side three different times because they broke. They also rattle a lot over any bumps, without the stock rubber insulators.

The SS sleeves are very tight and I suspect they will break the caliper if I use a heavy hammering approach to remove them. I may just have to buy rebuilt units, but thought I'd ask first. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Rich

Rebuilt calipers are inexpensive. Piece of mind.
    Removing/replacing sleeves vs changing out calipers prob same amount of work, just different.
    Or air hammer, if a small pointed chisel tip was available or made? It should zip them right out in car. Fastest and cheapest option.
    Air hammers can be amazing fast tools. Can do frame rivets no sledge hammer can budge. Tie rod ends too. Cutting old metal.
    Hard to support caliper for hammering when in car. Doubt if ears would break or crack very easily. Tough metal like spindles have.

Yep, an air hammer would be really nice, but I don't have one in the tool box. Rebuilds might be the easier way.
    I found the original calipers that were replaced when I bought some Saleen takes off parts 20 years ago. I forgot I had them.
    Can't imagine they are still good after sitting in the garage for all these years.

i use rebuilds
    The old ones can be rebuilt for spares if not rusty or worn. New piston seal, pins. More work vs rebuild.

When my cars got older and work schedule was heavy, could not tie up car in shop.
    Quite a few repairs could not wait for shop scheduling. Need 2 cars to tie up one.
    Nor had a budget to spend on all the things needed.
    DIY gets much more done, much less money spent.
    When settled, started to get more serious DIY tools. Older the car gets, the more tools needed.
    Over the years, found small tank 120v air compressors were handy. Impact for wheel lugs for sure.
    Air hammer (10.00) was purchased for front end work. Found other uses, more than i thought.
    Payments turned into tools, parts, repair bills and a bit of savings.

Thank you again for the replies. I'll have to hold off on the front calipers for now until the rear is under control again. I'll try to knock those stainless sleeves out first, but it that fails, the rebuilds sound like the best best .
    It's probably not a good idea to use those original calipers even though they they had seen little use. I didn't note when I changed them, and would have to dig for the receipts, just to see when I bought the Saleen take offs. They were basically unused. I recall the price was the same for the whole caliper with pads as the price for new pads. The old one don't look rusty. but who knows what the pistons and inners looks like.