Close

Thread: Where to start?

Default Where to start?

So my daughter's Mustang was hooked up to a battery charger while the battery was still connected. Her boyfriend apparently tried starting it with it all connected. That made things worse. I bought a new battery but now it won't even try turning over. Where should I start to find the damaged parts to get the car started again?

That shouldn't have hurt anything. Check the fusable links that are hooked to the solenoid, you might have fried one. They are the soft wires the the big, plastic lumps on them (usually).

Kenny

Check the solenoid. Is it clicking at all? Is it getting 12V when you try to turn on the starter? Is 12V getting through the solenoid when you turn it on? After that, I’d start going after the starter motor.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

WilliamCapri on to something. I have seen the brushes in the starter go so bad I was looking at a bad battery.
    Was the state of the battery in question because it had the charger on it?
    Checking voltage on the starter wire when trying to start is a good place to begin.
    A bad fuse link may shut down more than the start circuit, so check if lights, heater fan or radio are still working.
    If the cables were crossed when trying to jump can kill a fuse link, don't ask how I know
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Update: I installed a new starter solenoid and hooked the battery up. All the noises and lights happening were a good sign it was going to start. It was just about to turn over when I lost all power. No lights or anything. Could it be the voltage regulator or the alternator?

I will go back to my first comment, pretty sure you have a failing fusible link. They are soft and can break inside with no visible damage.

Kenny

Ok. I will check that out. Thanks!

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk