Close

Default Pinion Snubber For my 79?

So I’m m putting an 8.8 in my 79.
    I bought a pinion snubber because it seems like the 8.8 foxes use them. but my 7.5 car does not have a pinion snubber bracket on the body, nor does it have the 3 holes to mount one.
    Car does have bump stops on the rear frame rails on either side.
    I don’t have a problem drilling 3 holes and installing the bracket, but they seem expensive.
    i will be using double adjustable upper and lower control arms.
    i have heard that with aftermarket control arms the pinion snubber isn’t really needed, but the physical size of the 8.8 pumpkin is a lot bigger than the 7.5 cantaloupe.

Now I can pull the 7.5 and install the 8.8 and use a floor jack to see theoretically what may or may not make contact, but I was just wondering if anyone had any real world data that might save me some time and/or money?

Thanks and have a nice day! Any feedback welcome I appreciate it
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

50 views and no one has any info?
    that seems odd lol
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I put an 8.8” in my 84 with no pinion snubber and the car is lowered about 2” with all new rear suspension. Haven’t noticed any problems, but I only ever drive with one passenger, not a full car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

A pinion snubber helps with your pinion angle under load, too, i believe.

I bought a used bracket and a MM urethane snubber for lowered cars and slapped it in my Zeph. Can't say whether it's done anything, but I feel like it was worth doing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thanks for the advice! I’ll likely do the same as you did

So I bought a pinion snubber.
    I’m trying to save some time and aggravation by installing it before installing the rear suspension.

Here is the bottom of the trunk where the snubber should go. That brake line will be straightened and secured with clips.

Name:  N8infi.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  112.4 KB

Is the snubber mounted on the centerline of the trans tunnel?
    My housing is at the shop getting built so I don’t have it here.

Name:  mfVTaN.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  87.9 KB

Can anyone post a pic of their pinion snubber?
    Thanks, it would help me out.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by massacre; 08-28-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Haha looks like I might have it backwards

Bit the bullet and bought an OEM pinion snubber off eBay. Luckily it came with 3 self tapping bolts and directions!
    So I was able to get mine installed.
    i ran the rearend up with a jack and the snubber bracket attached to locate the bracket on the chassis. That OEM snubber (The rubber part) seemed really tall, the pinion snubber made contact way before the snubbers on the frame rails.
    so I installed one from LMR that was shorter and seems like all 3 snubbers make contact pretty close to each other.
    Also I was concerned about my diff girdle contacting the gas tank/sheet metal back there as I have heard of this being an issue.
    Luckily it is not an issue here, plenty of room!

Cool. Yeah, a lowered car needs a shorter snubber.

I think the girdle clearance problem is a Mustang thing.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Cool. Yeah, a lowered car needs a shorter snubber.

I think the girdle clearance problem is a Mustang thing.
    When I ran the rearend up with the jack, I think it was the increased size of the 8.8 pumpkin that made it necessary to use the shorter pinion snubber.
    no springs or shocks were installed at that time so ride height was a non issue.

Hey Massacre — do you happen to have any pics of the pinion snubber installed? Looking to do this on my ‘84 GT and there’s no holes or indication of where the bracket mounts to the body. If you remember where you bought your bracket from or have instructions handy, that would be a big help! Thanks!

84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

I'll check my pics, the car is put away til spring.

I bought the snubber on Ebay, was OEM brand new in box.
    It did come with instructions, i'll look to see if i can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I'll check my pics, the car is put away til spring.

I bought the snubber on Ebay, was OEM brand new in box.
    It did come with instructions, i'll look to see if i can find them.
    Appreciate it
    86 LX Coupe

Name:  2018-11-18 16.54.56.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  144.8 KB

Name:  2018-11-18 16.55.01.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  132.2 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks, Trey!
    86 LX Coupe

Ok, sourced the snubber. It looks like I’ll have to tweak the brake line slightly to get this fitted. Can anyone confirm the location side to side? Prior pics look like it’s simply centered. Would feel better before drilling holes. Thanks!

86 LX Coupe

FEP Senior Member

You can see by Trey's pics, it mounts just to the right of the "V" notch in the cross member.