Close

Thread: brake upgrade

Default brake upgrade

Have a 85gt that I am rebuilding the stock power brakes with stock parts. I have an opportunity to acquire two rebuilt 73mm svo calipers and 11 inch drilled and slotted rotors. I already have some used 88 spindles and will be using 4 lug wheels, either 15 inch or 16 inch wheels and tires, I have already replaced all new brake lines and hoses as well as replacing the original proportioning valve with a new ford valve. I've done some reading here and am uncertain as to upgrading to the bigger calipers and rotors is worth it or not........... and if I were to do that what else would I need to complete the upgrade.....new hoses?Which pads?which master cylinder? which brake boost........any help would be appreciated!

Just say no. The 73mm front calipers are not an upgrade unless you are also making significant changes to the rear brakes. Just because something is bigger, doesn't mean that it is better.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Default brake upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    Just say no. The 73mm front calipers are not an upgrade unless you are also making significant changes to the rear brakes. Just because something is bigger, doesn't mean that it is better.
    Thanks ,that's what I needed to know .....any other suggestions of combinations that would enhance braking for a reasonable cost for a street driven basically stock car?

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by pw84 View Post
    Thanks ,that's what I needed to know .....any other suggestions of combinations that would enhance braking for a reasonable cost for a street driven basically stock car?
    Good brake pads.

I just upgraded mine similar to what you did, went stock 90 rotors and calipers, Stainless hoses, steel caliper sleeves and Hawk pads. very pleased with the results.

See post #4.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Thanks that sounds like a good combo. what master cylinder did you use,,,,,stock 85 or newer 87-93?

FEP Member

I kept the original 85 master cylinder and proportioning valve. I didn't realize there was a difference in the newer master cylinder.