Close

Default The most ambitious crossover of all time

Hello fox friends!

So, i have a very interesting swap, one i guarantee has never been done and will likely not be done again. I have a 1979 Fairmont wagon, currently equipped with a 200ci thriftpower i6. Ive gone through alot of different ideas before i settled on my final plan, and i'd like to hear your thoughts. The powerplant replacing the old 6 banger? None other than an '01 Northstar V8 out of a cadillac Seville bolted up to a modified 700r4 tranny.

I know what your thinking, its a GM engine, its a FWD engine, and it has extremely limited aftermarket support.

But im in this for originality, and the northstar in this old wagon would be quite possibly the coolest and most unique fox body swap i could come up with and also feasibly accomplish. I already have the engine, and ive already rebuilt it with head and main studs. This one aint overheating. What do you all think of this?

And a few questions, because im not all too familiar with fox body cars:

I have the wagon, as far as suspension goes is it the same as a mustang or is it going to be alot of custom fab work?

Im trying to find replacement interior pieces such as carpet, dash pad, etc, where have you all been able to find these parts?

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself!

FEP Member

North,

Do it your way!

Most Fox Mustang stuff "bolts right in!" The biggest difference is that your wheelbase is 5-1/2" longer, but that only counts for stuff like the driveshaft and subframe connectors which should not be major problems.

I use a 1995 front crossmember with later a-arms and brakes, along with a 2004 IRS.

The carpets came from http://www.stockinteriors.com/ and were very good quality.

Enjoy the journey,

Tom

Doesn't the Northstar consistently make every "worst engines of all time" list? Jus' sayin'
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

The Northstar has been used consistently in Sand Drag rails for years and can make 750 HP rather easily when properly prepared. Cadillacs problem was they had an 8000 RPM high revving engine in a 1500 RPM car! Not very smart on their part! The oil usage issues were related to the exact machining tolerances required for this engine that GM did not consistently achieve. One or two thousands out of round on a cylinder and you developed a big oil usage problem.

There are fixes for the oil issues along with HP parts and machining tricks to make great HP in a neat package IF you know where to look and who to ask.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Had brief encounter with new Northstars 10 years or so ago. Starter under the intake. Latest years had the latest mods as usual.
    Before GM shut down the NS engine plant, they made hundreds of fully dressed and tagged service engines.
    They were temp stored in our warehouse, sealed in large thick clear plastic bags with couple pound bag of desiccant inside.
    Engines were set in (small for engine rack construction) 2" x 2" square tubing metal engine racks for shipping.
    Had to stack some of them. Did not like that job. Racks had no fork pockets.
    No fun pegging racks up there 12' or so, and shaky ones from the weight no less.
    One wrong move and the rack could slide on the forks or even off them. We were careful and none did i know of.
    Engines did look different cool. Sort of exotic or racy look.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northstar_engine_series

Prob be easier to install in a rail chassis. Lots of figuring out connections.
    Seen one in a Fiero. Looked factory.
    Nothing wrong with the Ford 6. Coolness factor too. And it runs now.