Close

Default 1983 7.5 Auburn C-Clip Removal Problems

My son decided he wanted to rebuild the 7.5 in his 85 GT as the spider gears are destroyed. He acquired and older (82 or 83) 7.5 with the Auburn style diff. He managed to get the R side c clip out after getting the pin partially out. I managed to get the pin the rest of the way out but still can't get the axle to go in far enough to get the c clip off. I read an install manual that says the Auburn uses it's own C clips, and the clip that we got out is a cast piece with a ridge that runs around the edge as opposed to the flat ones I've pulled out of every other rear I've had apart. Any clues? I've used a hammer to try to beat it in and it just bounces, so I know it's hitting something solid. It appears to be the outer seal/bearing. It's just so close...

Maybe a stupid question, but jave u tried to get the brake shoes off to make some more room to move the axel?
    Theodore J. Garbera, 1985 Mercury Capri RS

Have you tried rotating the axle as you try and push it in? It's possible that the c-clip has shifted on the axle and it hanging up.

I had that diff in my old '84 XR-7 and had it apart once to swap gears. That was 20+ years ago, though.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon