Close

Thread: 8.8 install

Default 8.8 install

Hey all, now that my 8.8 is ready and all my new suspension parts are here( MM upper control arms, MM adjustable lower control arms, ford racing b springs) I'm ready to put it back in. What's the best way to get it back in? Connect uppers first, then springs and connect lowers then shocks? Should I just snug everything up and then once it's all in torque to spec?

Thanks
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I have generally had the best luck when doing the install by myself (virtually every time! ) of installing the uppers onto the rear axle, then lift the assembly into position and install the uppers into the chassis. Then install the lowers into the chassis and then the axle. Install the shocks into the upper body mount and leave off the axle. Install one rear spring and connect that side shock, then the opposite side. If you have an extra pair of hands everything goes much smoother and quicker, but that never seems to be the case for me. Also it's not uncommon for me to use a ratchet strap to help pull the axle one direction of another to line up the bolt holes in the control arms and rear end. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Everything needs to be tightened to spec while at ride height...all weight on axle?

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Should I just snug everything up and then once it's all in torque to spec?
    As 87gtVIC said (or asked), you want to torque everything with the suspension loaded. Unless you've to a drive-on lift, it'll be tough to get to everything if you put the car on the ground, so probably the best way is to put the rear end down with jack stands under the axle tubes. Jack the front up, too, so the car is pretty level, that way the rear will be carrying all of the load it normally sees at normal ride height.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    As 87gtVIC said (or asked), you want to torque everything with the suspension loaded. Unless you've to a drive-on lift, it'll be tough to get to everything if you put the car on the ground, so probably the best way is to put the rear end down with jack stands under the axle tubes. Jack the front up, too, so the car is pretty level, that way the rear will be carrying all of the load it normally sees at normal ride height.
    Ok, thanks. I usually have the car sitting in cribbing so it sits pretty high. I should be able to get at it, if not I will put stands under axels.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I have generally had the best luck when doing the install by myself (virtually every time! ) of installing the uppers onto the rear axle, then lift the assembly into position and install the uppers into the chassis. Then install the lowers into the chassis and then the axle. Install the shocks into the upper body mount and leave off the axle. Install one rear spring and connect that side shock, then the opposite side. If you have an extra pair of hands everything goes much smoother and quicker, but that never seems to be the case for me. Also it's not uncommon for me to use a ratchet strap to help pull the axle one direction of another to line up the bolt holes in the control arms and rear end. Good Luck!
    Perfect, I knew I would need to put uppers on first but was not sure best way to proceed with lowers and springs. Thanks Trey
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Probably not the easiest, but when I jacked mine up in (also a solo job) I did it about the same way. Upper arms on body, then jacked it up and installed whichever bolt I could get closest. Order doesn't really matter. Just kept moving back and forth and worked the one closest to lining up. The driveway slopes up and angled right where the axle assembly is in my carport, so it was fun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Thanks everyone the the advice. Going to attempt to install this afternoon. Wish me luck lol
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

One last thing, what's the torque specs on upper arms? Same as lowers? 86ft lbs?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I believe 90-100 ft/lbs is the spec.

Again just make sure the full weight of the car is resting on the suspension when torque the control arms. Personally I like to tighten my arms down then back off 1/2 turn. Drive around the block a few times to settle the suspension and then torque everything down. I have better luck with ride height that way, but your experience may differ. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Per Maximum Motorsports Installation Directions

Name:  MM.PNG
Views: 118
Size:  18.7 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Per Maximum Motorsports Installation Directions

Name:  MM.PNG
Views: 118
Size:  18.7 KB
    Ok thanks, think it will matter if interior weight is out of car? Also from their instructions you can torque when still on jack stands? I think I will do it on the cribbing anyways
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 08-13-2020 at 03:18 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

The ONLY control arm bolts which need to be torqued at ride height are ones in which the bolt goes through a rubber bushing.

ALL other control arm bolts can be torqued at any ride height.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support