Close

Default Carter BBD 2 barrel on a 200 large log six

I replaced the low top BBD with the newer model high top BBD. I changed the choke shaft from the low top to the high top so my manual choke linkage would work. The ported vacuum works the way I want it to on the high top (no vacuum at idle). There was always some vacuum at idle on the low top ported vacuum port. The high top has different air bleed system. I see a Hygrade carb kit available for the high top $20.00 + free shipping so I better buy that in case in need to work on this made in China carb.
    The 1/2" carb spacer is made out of two pieces of 1/4" red oak fiber glassed together.
    The idle and fast idle screws can be shortened so you have to dimple the valve cover for clearance. I didn't do that when I installed this newest carb.
    i was going to buy a BBD carb for a Jeep that had an elec choke but the carb linkage lever looked like it would hit the valve cover.
    The same may happen if I installed a Holley Sniper BBD setup. I think that the Holley Sniper small base Rochester would be easier to install.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Carter_BBD_2_barrell; 08-08-2020 at 05:21 PM.

The bottom of the 1" thick adapter was started with two 1" holes with a 1 3/4" hole between them. The three bottom holes were drilled 3/4" deep.
    The top was drilled with 1-1/4" holes maybe 3 of them. I had good luck in that the piece I was removing pretty much fell out.
    I hogged out the rest of it with a two flute router bit that easily cut the aluminum.
    I drilled the holes with a 1/2" hand drill using hole saws. You have to be careful or you will overheat the brushes and melt the brush holders.
    Name:  IMG_0070.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  152.6 KBName:  BBD adapter pattern top.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  124.8 KB
    Last edited by Carter_BBD_2_barrell; 08-27-2020 at 10:45 PM.

Name:  Bottom.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  191.4 KBAttachment 133850
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Carter_BBD_2_barrell; 08-27-2020 at 10:48 PM.

I countersunk the allen bolts with this router bit in a small drill pressName:  drill press small og.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  198.0 KB

Welcolme.

When I saw it back last year, I thought, gee, that's how Ford USA should have done it.

Opel did a similar thing with the twin carb 1892 cc Cam in Head Opel GT version.

Your use of this normally Chrysler 225 SuperSix/LA 273/318/360 and some RB 383 carb works really well given the 200 log heads diagonal 16 degree slewed bolt pattern.

Compared to every Ford Autolite/Carter/Motorcraft, the BBD is a great power adder:-

225 ~ {1979 thru 1985} Carter BBD {1.437" Throttle Plates x 1.063" Venturi}.......... 275 CFM Rating
    258 ~ {1977 thru 1986} Carter BBD {1.437" Throttle Plates x 1.063" Venturi}.......... 275 CFM Rating
    273 ~ {1964 thru 1969} Carter BBD {1.437" Throttle Plates x 1.063" Venturi}.......... 275 CFM Rating
    318 ~ {1968 and up} Carter BBD {1.437" Throttle Plates x 1.186 Venturi}............ 285 CFM Rating
    383 ~ {1962 thru 1971} Carter BBD {1.563" Throttle Plates x 1.313" Venturi}.......... 365 CFM Rating"

Ford did use a lot of Carter YFA's and even a boatload of Themoquads overseas (302C/351C from 1976-1983, and DSO deTomasos till 1989). The BBD was a Mopar carb, and Ford was busy trying to sell off the Autolite 1100/1101 to Holley to avoid a massive anti-trust case against Bendix-Technico. All the while they were still using Bendix WW 2-BB and BXV 1-bbl carbs in Australia. Email made Carter carbs in Australia for Chrysler Aust Prty Ltd, and Ford USA decided it wouldn't replace the 1-bbl 1100/1101/1940/1945/1946/6153 with the Carter YF 1Bbl's. Even so, they were first used in the 1969 Ford Falcon 200 ci engines only, with the 170 Maveric getting it, and all of the later 240/300 and some 2.3 trucks and 2.3 Foxes, not the 72-83 3.3 equiped cars.

They came in 4 different CFM ratings,

Part Number / Throttle Bore Dia/ Venturi Dia/ Air Flow CFM

DODF-R DODF-N DODF-U DODF-S DIBF-CA 1.44" 1.187" 150 CFM

C9TF-E -A DOAF-B D1TF-VA D1TF-YA D1TF-XA D1UF-TA D1UF-UA -M DODF-L DODF-T DODF-V 1.687" 1.312" 187 CFM (193 CFM replacement)
    C9TF-F D1TF-ZA* D1TF-AAA D1TF-ABA* 1.69" 1.50" 220 CFM

So you are WAY ahead on cfm and suitability of your install is exceptional

One very important thing is the way you've done it ensures two jets feed both front 1-2-3 cylinder and back 4-5-6 cylinder legs unlike any system that employs any other kind of adapter. The idle must be lovely and settled. Jeep owners take note. On a 258 AMC or Jeep, the 2-bbl carb never idled properly due to the carb being placed wrongly on the intake.

The old WCB 2-BBL 232 Ramblers got it right, then everything got undone with the 258's.

This 1978 log head 200 Carter BBD 2V is a lot of fun to drive and it would be great to race other naturally aspirated log head sixes for just for the fun of it.
    Last edited by Carter_BBD_2_barrell; 08-24-2020 at 12:52 AM.

FEP User
    Chad
    Seeking: fox station wagon int/ext trim (esp LTD/Marquis)
    Retire/restore ol Bronk to daughter
    chrlsful@aol.com

Classic Inlines dyno tests showed that an unmodified large log head with an unmodified 2V to 1V adapter only gained a maximum of 5 RWHP on a 250 six.
    If the intake bore and adapter were enlarged a much higher HP gain would be expected.
    A good place to start may be a Weber to large log adapter. A Weber 38 could be run or a Carter BBD 2V or small base Rochester (if you could find one) could be adapted to the Weber to large log adapter. The carb mount stud holes could be filled with 5/16" aluminum threaded rod available on Amazon. The BBD Rochester bolt pattern could be drilled then threaded into the Weber adapter. A spacer on top of the Weber adapter would match the BBD or small base Rochester carb to the Weber adapter. A 2 flute router bit easily cuts aluminum without clogging. A carbide bit easily cuts cast iron.
    The Carb bolt patterns are:
    BBD + small base Rochester 1.87 x 3.25
    Weber 1.8125 x 3.65
    Name:  Weber to large log.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  42.9 KB

FEP User

Default Plan:

Quote Originally Posted by Carter_BBD_2_barrell View Post
    ...A good place to start may be a...
    I love it when a plan works out !
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com

I reinstalled the low top Carter BBD after I bought a wide band air fuel meter.
    I found it's easier to tune the WOT air fuel mixture on the low top. I can limit the step up piston travel with small thin washers. 2 washers set the WOT A/F ratio to 12, 3 washers set it to 13.
    Previously I bought and tested a new China Jeep high top with electric choke. I had to cut and weld the throttle lever to fit the Ford throttle cable.
    To run the Jeep elec. choke on the low low top BBD I adapted the elec. choke to my home made carb. adapter. I think I could have installed the base of the Jeep BBD carb. to the low top. The elec. choke on the Jeep BBD mounts to carb base.
    To keep the carb.+ fuel cool I run an elec. pump at the tank with the under hood fuel line insulated. I have a return line running to the elec. pump inlet. The return line starts near the carb at a brass tee with the 1/4" section threaded inside for a 10-24 brass screw. The 10-24 brass screw has been drilled thru for a .040" restriction. Aircraft ducting connects the air cleaner to the radiator support. Name:  Carter_BBD_low_top_Jeep_elec_choke_1600x1200.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  456.4 KB

FEP User

I C the change from cable to rod linkage'n others I cant name. (well,
    may B the asbestos cover for the hot air choke to exhaust?)

I think the BBD came on late model ford i6 (isnt it a "last evolved" carb?).
    Some put it on my bronk as it's got hi 1v flow for low rev tq. I believe they
    'turn it' as U have to clear the VC.

W/that 'flat top' log - no hog-out for "direct mount 2v"? Getting ready for efi?
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com

No direct mount 2V or EFI for me.
    The idle, part throttle, cruise + WOT A/F ratios on my $69.99 China Carter BBD 2V are all dialed in.
    The Jeep auto choke works great.
    I have a push button fuel pump switch if I think the fuel bowl needs to be filled.
    This low top BBD 2V is a keeper. It will have a long life on my 200 six.

FEP User

just a quick skim / re-read while on site for another issue but
    R U saying there's a lower profile BBD (for the notorious 60s/70s 'low hood fords')
    That it comes in a iv too?
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com