Close

Default Interior Panel Restoration Suggestions

I live in the Hampton Roads area and was wondering if any of you have suggestions for a vendor to refinish the interior plastic panels before I just start calling around. I'm wanting to change the panels from gray to med canyon red to match the NOS dash and reproduction door panels. Thanks!
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

FEP Power Member

Any body shop can respray them.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

You can even do it yourself, much easier than painting body panels. Even a cheap Harbor Freight gun will be more than adequate for the job.

The biggest cost is custom mixed paint. Last time I bought some it was roughly $100 per quart.

Kenny

I know I could spray them myself. That would require an investment in a compressor and the gun. I also don't have anywhere to actually spray these items, particularly the large rear hatch panels. I ask for shop suggestions because I want to make sure the place I go will do it right. Sick as the cleaning, prepping, adhesion promoter, then spray.
    Last edited by 86GTdriver; 11-21-2020 at 09:04 PM.
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

Where are you in Hampton Roads? I live in Virginia Beach.

I've used SEM color coat on a few projects now with great results. It's a spray paint, so not hard to use.

Here's the before and after on my last project, SEM Products 15273 Napa Red and 15013 Landau Black:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    John Brown
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe
    Instagram @wilwaxu
    Facebook @wilwaxu

I'm in Norfolk!

Nice work there with your refresh!

If you are just refinishing the interior plastic and don't need any actual repair to the texture or structure of the parts, then odds are you can do the work yourself and save some $$. If you just don't want to, then most likely a good interior shop can do the work. I have no suggestions to help, but any decent interior/upholstery shop shouldn't have an issue.

The SEM paints work pretty well and NPD has them in the correct colors for the Fox Mustangs. I personally prefer Color Bond when possible. There stuff sticks and sticks well. Coverage is generally excellent. Reds are always a bit more of a pain as they generally don't cover as well or as quickly so it takes more coats to get the right color and look. Going over grey is probably the best option for Red, so that will help. Color Bond doesn't offer specific colors for the Foxes since they are more late model, but I recently bought several of their dark greys to see if any of them will match the 85/86 light grey and dark greys in the GT and SVO. I haven't had the chance to spray any test panels, but I hope to very soon as I need to wrap up my 86 Road Racer project before the winter hits if possible. I will try and update my findings here in this thread as well. Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 11-22-2020 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by WILWAXU View Post
    I've used SEM color coat on a few projects now with great results. It's a spray paint, so not hard to use.

Here's the before and after on my last project, SEM Products 15273 Napa Red and 15013 Landau Black:
    Looks nice! Good job

What a resto job, looks amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If you are just refinishing the interior plastic and don't need any actual repair to the texture or structure of the parts, then odds are you can do the work yourself and save some $$. If you just don't want to, then most likely a good interior shop can do the work. I have no suggestions to help, but any decent interior/upholstery shop shouldn't have an issue.

The SEM paints work pretty well and NPD has them in the correct colors for the Fox Mustangs. I personally prefer Color Bond when possible. There stuff sticks and sticks well. Coverage is generally excellent. Reds are always a bit more of a pain as they generally don't cover as well or as quickly so it takes more coats to get the right color and look. Going over grey is probably the best option for Red, so that will help. Color Bond doesn't offer specific colors for the Foxes since they are more late model, but I recently bought several of their dark greys to see if any of them will match the 85/86 light grey and dark greys in the GT and SVO. I haven't had the chance to spray any test panels, but I hope to very soon as I need to wrap up my 86 Road Racer project before the winter hits if possible. I will try and update my findings here in this thread as well. Good Luck!
    Sounds like a plan, let us all know! It's too cold here to paint now unfortunately. Paint will have to wait until spring for me.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 11-22-2020 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Spelling

FEP Power Member

I know it’s cold but you might have some nice days. I always like to let the freshly painted interior panels sit for 30 days before installing. It helps to prevent scratching and scuffing.

Best for restoring the canyon red ????

FEP Power Member

I have not looked for the Canyon red since I did not have need. I have rough spare kick panel and was painting my 67 Tbird dash pad using 67 Mustang interior paint from NPD. I thought it came out pretty nice. I will post up a picture of original verses painted.

Finding a rattle can source for the paint varies by area unless you do mail order. I can't get SEM custom mix in CA.

It does look like the SEM Products 15273 Napa Red listed above in post #6 is available. I have not used it.
    Last edited by KevinK; 01-08-2021 at 02:19 PM.