Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Center console clock question

I replaced the clock with another and it still doesn't show time. I changed fuse number 8 and now the fuel door button works and the dome light comes on, but the clock still doesn't tell time. I noticed that the clock does come on but you only see the 3 red lines and no numbers. It does light up, just does display any numbers. It does this with both Could be that the other one is messed up too. I'll grab another one at the junkyard just in case. I really want to get this working! It's like the only thing in my ineterior that does not function correctly!!!

goose

Ha ha, I've been screwing around with my clock too! It was always midnight when I got in the car, since it reset every time I got back in the car. I located a constant lead on a harness and wired it up, so it should work. Haven't tried it yet since I'm in the process of installing a new stereo though.

There are two power leads to the clock (one constant lead and one ignition switched lead) and a ground wire. Considering how simple that is, it's gotta be the clock itself. The only other possibility may be that the switched lead isn't delivering 12 volts. That doesn't seem to explain its behavior though. Try another clock I suppose.
    -gus

FEP Senior Member

Hope this Helps

EDIT: BTW, I created the graphic... so no Copyrights violated... and if the Admins want to stick a Foureyed logo on it and put it up as a tech reference I have no problem with that...
    Old Heavyweight Large Body Platform, two Muscle powered feet, that get traction from a set of size 12 generic shoes. Needs alot of bodywork, and hard to start in the morning... Used to be alot faster, but now does the 1/4 in 330sec at 2.7 mph.

Anonymous

I took my malfunctioning clock apart and found a burned out ceramic capacitor was causing the microcontroller (a 8032 intel clone) to reset all the time. My clock was doing the same thing, except it was displaying even weirder times like 23:82 or 87:97.

I am actually thinking about designing replacement electronics for the clock module to make it work again with modern microcontrollers. It would be pretty easy, and i would put a lithium battery for keeping the time when you take the neg battery cable off.

Later,
    Aaron

Oh My God.

I'm saving that image as a background.
    No matter where you go, there you are

goose

The reason I ended up troubleshooting my clock was that my new stereo needs a constant lead, which my '84 doesn't provide. So I'm going to steal it from the clock. Well, share it with the clock.

I think I'm going to dump the clock anyway. Put a guage there instead.
    -gus

I posted a thread like this a while ago and it ended up being a fuse. Well after I changed the E-brake cables and had to move the console around my clock has stopped working again. Sometimes it will flash on but its reset, and I spent hours lookin for any loose connections and I couldn't find any. Any help is greaty appriciated.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

Can someone at least tell me the color of the wires that work it?
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by madmike8
    Hope this Helps

..pic...

EDIT: BTW, I created the graphic... so no Copyrights violated... and if the Admins want to stick a Foureyed logo on it and put it up as a tech reference I have no problem with that...
    Right Click... Save as...
    '86 GT 13.49 @ 104
    '83 Tbird TC 17.75 @ 78
    '05 Five Hundred AWD 16.95 @ 88

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 795.0pacecar
    I posted a thread like this a while ago and it ended up being a fuse. Well after I changed the E-brake cables and had to move the console around my clock has stopped working again. Sometimes it will flash on but its reset, and I spent hours lookin for any loose connections and I couldn't find any. Any help is greaty appriciated.
    Yeah... but I left my book at work... will post it tomorrow
    Old Heavyweight Large Body Platform, two Muscle powered feet, that get traction from a set of size 12 generic shoes. Needs alot of bodywork, and hard to start in the morning... Used to be alot faster, but now does the 1/4 in 330sec at 2.7 mph.

Default diagram work for the 80 capri?

sweet diagram, is it the same as the 80 Capri...looks very much the same since ive actually looked at the fuse panel last...definatly going to same this one and keep it printed for later easy reference
    4 eyes are better than two round eyes by far..

FEP Senior Member

Ok... here's what I can find on the Clock for your 79

the Rheostat is the light dimmer...

There's a Clock Diagnostic Flowchart in the shop manual... If you need it, I'll make it for you...

Hope that helps...

FEP Senior Member

Default Re: diagram work for the 80 capri?

Quote Originally Posted by NEOPLAZMA
    sweet diagram, is it the same as the 80 Capri...looks very much the same since ive actually looked at the fuse panel last...definatly going to same this one and keep it printed for later easy reference
    Well... I'm not sure... I don't have a manual for 1980... but I do have one for 1979... So... Here it is...

Hope that helps...