Close

Default 82gt metallic red paint?

I plan on starting on some body work for the 82gt here soon. I plan on repainting it the factory medium red color. I'm pretty sure this color was non-metallic. Correct?

I'm considering adding some flake to it (base/clear). Has anyone done this? Would it take away too much from the factory look or would it just enhance the look? Thoughts?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I don't recall the 82 color being a metallic, just a solid color from what I remember.

As for adding "flake" that will all depending on the size of the metallic, the color, and the amount. Could it look good and give the paint an extra "POP" sure, but it can also just not work. My .02 is that adding a pearl coat (Tri Coat system) may be the best option if that is what you want to try. The Tri Coat system would be your base, a pearl mid coat and your clear. That is what many of the new colors by OEM are today. The best advice is you are going to need and want to spray test panels to make sure you get the color and look that you want. I don't mean a small flat piece of metal either. Either use an old fender, etc. or purchase some Speed Shapes and test spray on those. That will give you at least an idea of how the pearl or metallics will look when sprayed on the GT. If you don't have a good autobody paint supplier near you, you might try Tamco Paints for a custom color. They can do a lot of different things and pricing is pretty good overall. https://tamcopaint.com/ Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

There were seven metallic production paint colors in the 1982 model year. The two reds were not metallic.

http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...r-Paint-Colors
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Great advice as usual, Trey!

The reason I was thinking regular metallic flake was because a lot of factory colors were that type. My 1980 (or was it 81?) medium bittersweet mustang had a very subtle sparkle to it.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    There were seven metallic production paint colors in the 1982 model year. The two reds were not metallic.

http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...r-Paint-Colors
    Thanks for confirming!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

If you spray that medium red back with good coverage on both the paint and the clear it, will have a deep shine to it without needing the flake IMHO. I had an 82 GT in that color back in the 1980's that I had a well known custom paint shop do mine back then and was very happy with it.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Name:  12755.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  12754.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  12753.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  61.9 KB
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Member

Tamco, great stuff. Their Ford code RR is outstanding.

FEP Member

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  147.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    If you spray that medium red back with good coverage on both the paint and the clear it, will have a deep shine to it without needing the flake IMHO. I had an 82 GT in that color back in the 1980's that I had a well known custom paint shop do mine back then and was very happy with it.

You are correct! I believe they were originally Single stage? But I'm old enough to remember when these cars were new. They looked good in fresh factory paint, but there was definitely room for improvement compared to today's standard. A decent bc/cc would be even better.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Quote Originally Posted by KWH View Post
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  147.2 KB
    \

Beautiful!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    You are correct! I believe they were originally Single stage? But I'm old enough to remember when these cars were new. They looked good in fresh factory paint, but there was definitely room for improvement compared to today's standard. A decent bc/cc would be even better.
    Yes they were single stage acrylic enamel paints back then and very thin in some areas. When my 82 was done in the late 80's, Imron was the upper end stuff, and base coat clear coat was just coming about...think it was first introduced on the 1990 Foxbody Mustangs from what I remember. When I went through my 85 GT vert several years back, I opted for the base coat clear coat for the Oxford White and a Sherwin Williams commercial single stage paint that has hardener in it for the Charcoal lower two tone and adjacent accents.
    HAD

HAVE

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    When my 82 was done in the late 80's, Imron was the upper end stuff, and base coat clear coat was just coming about...think it was first introduced on the 1990 Foxbody Mustangs from what I remember.
    Here is your useless trivia for August 9th, 2020. I know you were probably referring to the first MUSTANG that had two stage but the first Ford product (and I really want to say the first American car as well) that had clear was the 1977 Lincoln Versailles. Yep. I know that fact. My Father purchased one brand new and years later it was involved in an accident. The body shop called to inform him that they were going to have to charge more than was quoted. We went to see it and the body shop showed us that the car had FIVE (5, yes FIVE) paint jobs (base and clear) on it and we bought it brand new. So at the factory, apparently they were having terrible issues getting the new process right so they sent it back through the paint shop FOUR additional times before it was accepted and allowed to move on. That's also the car that all the first gen Mustang owners want the rear axle out of because it fits without any modifications in a 1965 Mustang and it's a 9 inch with rear disc brakes.
    Man, if I had a dollar for all the useless trivia I know.........
    Last edited by homer302; 08-09-2020 at 04:33 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Super Member

So 2H Red Metalic Glow , is not a metalic ?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Here is your useless trivia for August 9th, 2020. I know you were probably referring to the first MUSTANG that had two stage but the first Ford product (and I really want to say the first American car as well) that had clear was the 1977 Lincoln Versailles. Yep. I know that fact. My Father purchased one brand new and years later it was involved in an accident. The body shop called to inform him that they were going to have to charge more than was quoted. We went to see it and the body shop showed us that the car had FIVE (5, yes FIVE) paint jobs (base and clear) on it and we bought it brand new. So at the factory, apparently they were having terrible issues getting the new process right so they sent it back through the paint shop FOUR additional times before it was accepted and allowed to move on. That's also the car that all the first gen Mustang owners want the rear axle out of because it fits without any modifications in a 1965 Mustang and it's a 9 inch with rear disc brakes.
    Man, if I had a dollar for all the useless trivia I know.........
    If you look at my post I was talking about Foxbody Mustangs...yes there were other higher end cars that got the base coat clear coat process sooner...
    HAD

HAVE