Close

Default 1986 upper steering column question

Is the column itself compatible with the newer models?
    Mine is tilt as well

thanks I haven't seen much info on these

You can interchange the 79-89 columns. You will have to swap the switch gear depending on year model, but they will interchange. The 79-mid 83 have the splined shaft for the steering wheel. The mid 83-89 use the D shaped shaft. The 86 will have the D shaped. Hope that helps. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank You, I was hoping it was the same my steering wheel is a bit wobbly I am hoping it is the two bolt for the tilt steering.

where are you located?

Steering Column repair here in Omaha does one hell of a nice job on columns.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Are the bolts in question mount the column to the dash, or the steering wheel to the shaft?
    The Torrington Co built some of the upper shafts with a bolt holding the steering wheel on.
    A few of these "bell yokes" had a problem with the diameter of the point of attachment being too small.
    The result was the bolt would bottom out and the wheel was not tight. The fix was a washer
    placed under the bolt that looked like a freeze plug with a hole in it. The hole was larger than the shaft
    So the end was in the washer which seated the wheel correctly.
    I don't remember the year this occurred, and I don't remember if it involved Mustang columns, because
    we were making upper and lower shafts for multiple Ford models at the time.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a somewhat related question. I'm wanting to add cruise control to my 85 vert. It has an 86 wiring harness for the EFI 5.0 that I put in it. Will an 84 tilt/speed control steering column work with the 86 wiring harness and 85/86 cruise steering wheel?

I tightened the two upper column bolts that made a difference in the steering wheel wiggle itself, now I plan on modifying the rag joint to a solid u joint.
    hopefully that will tighten steering up even more.

Curious about the rag joint upgrade. I've always felt that the steering was way too sensitive (floaty) at speed in my 85GT. I think that is mostly due to the power steering boost being excessive. But how would a solid u-joint affect the overall feel? I expect it would make it more precise, but wouldn't that also take out a bit of 'buffer'?
    1985 GT owned since new

Floaty steering is mostly solved by

Smaller (under drive) crank pulley
    — UPR and other similar kits
    smaller (overdrive) water pump pulley
    — 93 cobra or Summit repop
    Better inner tie rods
    — reman rack or replacement inners

better outer tie rods
    — new OE style outers or a bumpsteer kit

A synthetic PS fluid instead of typeF ATF

I also added a small inline filter on my car. Happy with the result
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-20-2020 at 09:05 PM.

how does synthetic PS fluid help? That seems like a fairly easy mod
    Where did you add an inline filter?

I also put a pulley from a v6 mustang which is a bigger diameter that helped slow it down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by toddf View Post
    I also put a pulley from a v6 mustang which is a bigger diameter that helped slow it down a bit.
    Can you provide a part number? I was looking into this awhile back, but got bogged down in all the different options.
    1985 GT owned since new

sorry for delay. I believe it was a 2002 or close v6 mustang. I just pulled it at the pick and pull for 2 dollars or so.
    I brought the old one with me to reference size.

Thanks for sharing might