Close

FEP Member

Default Anyone else see this?

If I read it right,it said it was non fatal.i bet the man or woman who survived,neede a clean pair of undies after that!
    https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/5512736002

Was a nice looking car, hopefully not hurt to bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FEP Power Member

Being a 79 vert., means it was an aftermarket conversion or a personal modification. The trunk lid is still attached probably due to the aftermarket hinges. Not sure what the 2 big black pieces in front of the rear section are. Most likely some type of support that gave way. Anything is possibly if rust got too far.

Having a crash in a vert. Always worries me and we have 4 verts.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I dont know enough about 4 eyes cars, that being said is there any way to tell from the pics if it was a "79" or is news info incorrectly reported.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That looks like a hatch not a notch/vert trunk lid sticking up in back. And the part laying in front of the rear section looks to be the roof.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Definitely a hatch back as noted the hatch is resting on the back side of the body in the one picture. Doesn't say what kind of SUV, but I am thinking full size Expedition, Suburban most likely appears the SUV hit high on the back end of the Mustang. Still scary as heck what can happen to these old tin cans on wheels. Hope everyone survived.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

That was local news here. Was going to post link but was not pretty.

At that time of day, the sun would have been low and in the SUV driver eyes and could have blown the light.

Car looks to be a hatchback with t-roof (no door glass frame).
    79 did not have black door handles unless changed out or painted.
    Looks like an exhaust tip at the rear wheel rim.

Looks like there is an update. SUV was a Durango. The Mustang was updated to an '83. The Mustang driver suffered a broken arm

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne..._medium=UpNext
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

If the Durago was struck, would not the front of the Mustang be gone?
    I say the Durango clipped the rear. Mustang 5.0 blew the WB 8 mile set of lights and almost made it to the EB set.
    Southbound on Evergreen. Headed into Detroit. It starts there.
    Detroit drivers are known to speed down side streets, overall reckless and take chances more than most.
    Michigan has the highest insurance rates, especially in Detroit. Many in Detroit go without.
    I do not drive on most of Detroit surface streets anymore. 8 Mile is borderline and last resort.
    Too many wreaks like this and shootings too every single day on the news. Not fender benders: totaled.

Now that we know what year it is I think it was a T-top and the black pieces in the picture of the severed rear look to me to be the rear seat(s) with the top half facing forward.

I looked at the pictures again and now I think it's the p/s front seat folded forward.
    Last edited by gt pony; 07-28-2020 at 09:36 PM. Reason: additional info

FEP Member

Yes.looks to be a t top car..gr79..I’m sure that will be going to a local junkyard ? I see some good parts in those pics! Haha.look at those sports seats still standing tall! They might bend and twist from getting change out your pocket,but a Dodge Durango ain’t taking those out!
    Last edited by kfxmatt; 07-28-2020 at 10:31 PM.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Could of been a previously repaired car as well from back in the day

Poorly repaired car or bad torque boxes

Driver is prob more ok because car took all of the energy and ripped apart if it stayed together and crumbled then prob more severe outcome

Was a T-bone hit to the driver side rear somewhere behind the door from the looks of it.
    Energy level to shear old unibody car metal, not bend it, like a wrap around a big pole.
    Both objects were moving and absorbed impact energy by skidding.
    You would think the Mustang front wheels would have been pivoted as the car turned.

Wonder if the impact opened up the common floor pan cracks behind the drivers seat?
    If a Michigan car, and simply driven, may have a rusty chassis with no knowledge, means, parts, or desire to repair.
    Lots of cars have performance mods but do not have the matching mods to handle that.

Did a search on chassis stiffening. Thinking roll bars, full cages, bracing brackets. Real reinforcement.
    Stuff beyond subframe connectors, t-box plates. More broad structural type.
    Not worried about saving weight but I beam girders or something are overkill and not really automotive practical.
    Preservation by re-adding strength for safety and proper level for enjoyment.
    Adding what the factory may have left off due to cost or saving weight.
    The weak points show up over time. Back then, no computer analysis to predict this.

Dad worked as a metal model maker at Fisher Body. If he was still around, would ask thoughts on this.
    Chassis design and why something has to be kept the same for years and what gets special design needed for app.
    Have to ask bro (current GM engineer) his thoughts. Have talked before on chassis and stuff they do.
    Sent him the second link asking for his take on the result. Said guess bad prior accident repairs.

What to do to a unibody real Hemi high powered car. They seem to be the most valuable and are durable.
    How other pony cars are done. The major metal of the car. Time tested solid design add ons.
    Easy stock locations to add and not cut too much (trim to fit) or have to get into major work.
    Custom kits for each basic body series that cover different models for the chassis run.
    Ideas to adapt to Fox chassis. Upgrade to stuff we have not done or thought about.
    Add a good idea(s) from another brand that was done better by the factory in certain areas.
    Save savable rusty special classic cars that are worth saving with new metal due to circumstances, value.

Interesting inner fender braces and lower core support brace.
    http://store.uscartool.com/dodge-cha...ning-pack.html

For Mopar, but the ideas are generic.

"Where does the Chassis Stiffening Kit mount?

The kit mounts to the unibody of your Challenger and adds strength and stiffening to the entire unibody structure. This the most complete kit and adds the most strength available, short of adding a full roll cage to your car.

Does my car need a Chassis Stiffening Kit?

The factory engineers added stiffening to some ares of the E-Bodies, so they recognized the benefits of the bracing 40+ years ago. We've just got the benefit of seeing how these react to the added chassis stiffening. Any car will benefit from the additional chassis (unibody) stiffening, especially if you are increasing the horsepower or just want you car to feel more "solid" going down the road.

Frame Connectors add strength to the middle portion of the unibody, our design maximizes the strength of these via cantilever beam engineering to increase the Section Modulus of Elasticity. This is twice as strong at half the thickness!!
    Torque Boxes distribute the brute forces placed on the Unibody at active suspension mounting locations; think front leaf spring hangers pushing the car forward on a 600hp launch!
    Inner Fender Braces add stiffening to a front frame rail system that was prone to twisting.
    The front Lower Core Support brace connects the extreme front ends of the front frame rails to help make them stronger and less prone to twisting.

When you remove the flex from your chassis (Unibody) you allow the suspension to work as it is designed. Now you can adjust spring rate, roll resistance (sway bars) and shocks and actually see and feel the difference!"
    Last edited by gr79; 07-29-2020 at 10:09 PM.

FEP Senior Member

I'm still trying to reconcile how the Mustang hit the Durango as is stated in the second posted story. You can't see the front end very well from the pictures, but it doesn't look like it is damaged. Was the guy driving the Mustang sideways?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Some time ago a similar case with a foureye was discussed here.
    That was not a convertible I recall.
    Hans.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk