Close

Default Rear Hard Line Question

Hello,

So I am putting disc brakes on my Zephyr. I don’t have the 8.8 yet but I have a question regarding the rear brake hard lines.

It appears that the 7.5 rears have the rear brake line going from the firewall, through the interior and exits on the passenger side.
    8.8 appears to exit in the center of the car.
    is this done to clear dual exhaust?
    I have 50 feet of new brake line, and was going to replace the line from the firewall to the back of the car.

I’m not crazy about putting an additional hole in the floor, is there a way to keep the stock exit location at the rear, but just make that line longer so that it reaches over to the center of the car to use the 8.8 setup?
    I already have the soft lines and brackets.

Been looking for pics of this setup and not finding much.
    any help appreciated
    thanks and have a nice day
    Last edited by massacre; 07-27-2020 at 08:09 PM.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I have never owned a Zephyr nor Fairmont, so I am not familiar with the differences compared to the Mustang/Capri. The early Mustang/Capri had the rear brake line go through the passenger compartment and exit out on the passenger side. The later models have the line run out the passenger side on the engine side of the firewall, then down the body and along the passenger side and then coming out near the center section of the rear axle on the passenger side for the non 8.8 rear axles. The 8.8 rear axle with dual exhaust the brake line crosses over the driveshaft tunnel and connects to the rear axle brake hose on the driver side to aid in clearance for the dual exhaust. I know somewhere I have pictures that show the difference, but can't find them right now. You can make a short extension that would attach to the existing line and then attach to the hard body brake line mount that is installed on the 8.8 cars on the driver side. That would be the quick and easy option. As long as your flares are good there's little down side to the extension line IMHO.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yep, that's how mine is. Little extension piece runs to the center.

Do you have the adapter fitting needed for the 8.8 softline?

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2073BRKT/mu...-bracket-86-93

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thank you so much for your speedy and helpful response!

I think I can see what you are describing,

So instead of coming out on the passenger side rear and attaching to a line that is kind of a straight shot, and also seems to be integrated with the vent (this is a 7.5) on the pass side,
    the line still exits the pass side but is just extended up and over the trans tunnel to reach over to the drivers side to clear the dual exhaust.

still looking for pics but I think I get it thanks
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Ok, here are pictures from Erratic50's Saleen Clone. The 85 model is unique in that the fitting on the body and the flexible brake hose to the rear axle is a one year only deal, but the rough placement and routing is the same.

Name:  2018-11-18 14.33.56.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  192.1 KB

This picture is looking at the passenger side. You see the brake line that comes up just in front of the torque box/frame rail and goes up and the to the back of the car. That is the rear brake line. It comes over to the driver side and attaches to the bracket in the upper right hand corner of the picture just above the rear axle bump stop.

Name:  2018-11-18 14.33.46.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  228.6 KB

This picture is looking directly at the rear axle where you can see the rear brake line at the top of the picture turning from the passenger side to the driver side just in front of the rear axle bumper stop.

Name:  2018-11-18 14.34.09.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  242.2 KB

This picture is looking from the passenger side again, but is a close up of the bracket and line. You can see the how the line loops into the bracket and the flexible hose comes off it. Again this is unique to the 85 V8 models and is different than the 86-93 bracket and hose.

Name:  2018-11-18 16.54.56.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  305.3 KB

This is looking towards the front of the car from the driver side rear bumper. You can see the bracket and hose in the upper left hand corner of the picture. Just in front of the round reinforcement for the rear seat belt bolt.

Name:  2018-12-08 17.11.43.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  251.7 KB

This is looking from the rear bumper cover straight on to the front of the vehicle. You can see the brake line on the right hand top side of the driveshaft tunnel and the bracket on the left hand side where the brake hose is. Hopefully this is helpful and you can get yours sorted out. Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 07-27-2020 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Additional photo and description
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Some more pics/info/reading below. If you search on here for "brake line routing" you'll come up with quite a few posts.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e+line+routing

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e+line+routing
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Thank you guys so much for the pics!
    that 85 setup sure is unique, never saw that before.
    Once I get my front wheels on the ground this weekend, I’ll jack up the rear and post a pic of my car and the location of the brake line.

Thanks I have been reading a ton about this, I think I have it now.
    I’ll have to get the 8.8 setup in the car to figure out how to run the lines, but looks like when I replace that interior brake
    line from firewall to passenger back seat, I’ll just make it longer to reach over to the driver’s side where the flexible hose mounts.

I have the outer brake fittings to go from hard line to soft caliper lines.
    Any idea on the size of the brake fittings that attach the inboard hard lines to the junction block on the 8.8 rearend housing bracket?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Yep, that's how mine is. Little extension piece runs to the center.

Do you have the adapter fitting needed for the 8.8 softline?

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2073BRKT/mu...-bracket-86-93

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for this, really appreciate it
    Last edited by massacre; 08-03-2020 at 08:06 PM.

No problem. It's so great that LMR carries that now. I had to scrounge for mine.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

great info, you can also check on maximum motorsport website for even mo knowledge
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Damn ...... forgot how nice that 85 is underneath ....... gotta get it done SOON