Close

Default 2.3 Litre Lima ignition timing

First off I'd like to say, I'm Tire Technician, formally trained as a Machinist and by no means a Mechanic, but I can swing a wrench.

The problem I'm having with my '89 Mustang 2.3 is, each time I change from first to second (5-speed manual), and second to third, it seems like the engine "noses over" and doesn't free ventilate when I depress the clutch pedal and lift the accelerator, as a result, stumbles and lurches going into the next gear. I'm guessing it's an ignition timing issue, but I'm unsure. Maybe a vacuum issue, I don't know, any ideas???? Thanks in advance (no pun intended)

What year? A couple of thoughts
    - clogged cat or muffler?
    - timing belt jumped a tooth or two?
    - last tune up? Non-Motorcraft wires and cap/rotor are often the cause of ignition issues after a few months. If you don't know the age a full tuneup is a good place to start.

Hope this helps,

Chris
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Yes, thank you Chris, I never even considered a clogged Cat! How do you check that? Short of cutting it out and running a straight pipe. The muffler was replaced last year, so I'm good there. As for the timing belt jumping a tooth or two, I didn't think an engine could run under those circumstances. But once again I don't know, not a mechanic. I did replace the distributor cap, rotor button and plugs, but no difference. One other question, how much advance do these engines run at idle? And BTW, it also idles a little fast.

Thank you once again.

Not sure other than disconnecting it.

Regarding the timing, it can easily skip if not installed correctly. You can easily check the timing marks by removing the rubber plug on the front of the belt cover, turning the engine to TDC and looking in the hole. If you don't see any timing marks or they don't line up then it jumped.

Not sure on the advance. I run a PimpX ECU on my RS Turbo so the computer takes care of it all.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver