Close

Default 1979 Fairmont Futura brake upgrade

As the title suggests, I have a '79 Fairmont with a 302, C4, and the dreaded 2.26:1-geared 7.5" rear. When I got it, it had already been converted to 5-lug, using Ranger axles in the rear and what I assume are Ranger/Aerostar rotors in front. To put it mildly, the brakes suck. Front rotors are horribly warped, so I figure it's time for them to go. The master may be part of the problem, but I have no idea about its history or origin. It does have a hard "wooden" feeling pedal, though.

What I would like to do is put the best stopping set of front brakes (using factory parts) on the car that will fit under aftermarket 15" aluminum wheels. I have some 15x7.5 Riken mesh wheels that I would like to use on it. I was thinking '94-'95 GT spindles and rotors and '99-'04 GT calipers. Is this my best option? Which master cylinder is the best for this combination and do I need to use a different ball joint and/or change the strut housing to make this all work, together?

FYI, I did read the brake sticky upgrade threads, but there are quite a few odd things about these early cars that I'm not so sure of.

Maximum Motorsports says the '94-98 single piston GT brakes have better clamping force and are less prone to sticking. The rotors are 11", same as the '99-04 GT setup.

Yes, you will need to either change your ball joints or install spacers to run '94-95 spindles on your stock control arms. As for whether they fit inside 15" wheels, I can't say for sure. I'd love to see pics of the car with the meshies installed though!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I have recently installed 94-95 spindles with 99-04 brakes on my Zephyr. I have a 99-04 hydro booster and master cylinder so figured might as well keep it all the same. Rears fit fine under 16” X 7” wheels, the fronts are rubbing the caliper a little so I am going to try some 5mm wheel spacers And I think I should clear then. It is rubbing on the back side, not on the outside.
    15” wheels I have no idea. I don’t have any 15s here either to throw on and test it sorry

Name:  MJ9mEw.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  212.2 KB Name:  5P3A5X.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  85.6 KB
    Last edited by massacre; 07-26-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

The reason that I would go with the '99+ GT PBR is more clearance. The twin piston design is lower profile than the 76mm single piston.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

The SN95 V6s came with 15" wheels stock, so 15" wheels should normally clear the SN95 brakes just fine. (As massacre showed, though, the shape of the back of the wheel spokes does matter.)

Really the SN95 V6/GT brakes aren't any bigger than the '87-93 Mustang 5.0L brakes, and those fit under 15" wheels, too.