Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Composite Headlights?

Anyone know where I can get the composite headlight replacements for the sh**ty sealed beams? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

FEP Member

you can't possibly be serious...
    1983 5.0 glx ragtop t-5
    bored .030 holley 4bbl
    balanced, port matched and polished
    2.5 inch off road x-pipe

the beer isn't going to drink itself!

FEP Senior Member

Default wait

I think you misunderstood me, I'm not talking about converting to a 2 eyed, i mean the composite headlights that look exactly like the old sealed beams, I've found some at performance autoparts, but they arn't for the 4 lights, they are the huge h4 size for like ford rangers. Sorry to freak you out.

Advance Auto Parts has them here, also for I think 99.99 they have the "crystal" look lights.
    1985 Mustang 5.0 coupe - dad's
    1983 Mustang GT sold deeply missed
    1981 Mercury Capri sold, not so missed (too far gone)
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

almost forgot, I think ARresearch makes them.... yes the same company that rices out, and blings blings the world for us.
    They do have a coupla decent Mustang show cars.
    1985 Mustang 5.0 coupe - dad's
    1983 Mustang GT sold deeply missed
    1981 Mercury Capri sold, not so missed (too far gone)
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

gtluke

i would love to find plastic versions of our headlights. nice way to lose a few lbs off the VERY front of the car.

I've got plastic headlights in my '86. They were made by Sylvania, I believe. I think I still have one new in box. I'll see if I can find the part number.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

St80sixer

The reason why you won't find the 4x6 sealed beam conversion lamps in most respectable auto parts stores, is the fact that the high beam only lamps aren't DOT legal.

The ones that you will find most easily on Ebay and some of the hokey online auto accessory stores, are ones with plastic or "crystal" lenses.

Plastic lenses will not be a big improvement output-wise over the regular sealed beam lamps. The refractor lines (lines on the inside of the lens) can be melted by the high beams or use of high output bulbs, leaving you with dimmed headlights that aren't focusing the light where it should be.

The "crystal" lenses use more of a free form refractor and have virtually no vertical cutoff and will blind oncoming traffic. Police will also be a hassle because if you blind them, most of the time they will ticket you for illegal lights. The vents on most of these "crystal" sealed beam conversions are a joke and will actually let in moisture, which will heat up and burn away the reflective paint on the back of the housing. Also in most states the city lamps (Usually a 194 bulb that creates a low level colored light in the headlamp housing with headlights off) are illegal.

Now if you've gotten this far through my post, I can tell you what sealed beam conversions are the best and have the most chance of being passed off as regular sealed beams. Unless someone inspects these closely will they notice the E (instead of DOT) imprinted on the glass.

Hella, Cibie, and Neolite conversion kits have glass lenses with the most effective E-code refractors and will usually come with free H4 and H1 bulbs. They have a really crisp vertical cutoff with a passenger side upsweep to illuminate roadside signs.

The one I'm talking about is a direct-replacement, sealed-beam headlamp. The housing is all plastic instead of all glass. It was purchased from Pep Boys a number of years ago.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Senior Member

st80sixer thats exactly what I was looking for thanks, yeah, i'm probley not going to do the high beam conversion just the low beams so I have something diffent then the walmart trublues or whatever ya know, but thanks everyone that posted.

FEP Senior Member

this website has the exact ones i'm looking for for 29$ apiece. passing it on, if its not already known. http://www.carpartswholesale.com

A picture of the headlight I was referring to is in my photo album.

It's a Wagner Halogen lamp in a Sylvania box. Part No. HP4666. Hi/Low combo lamp. All plastic.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Senior Member

Default yeah

I knew what you were talking about fox, i've seen those, I just wanted to convert to composite so I could pick and choose the bulbs I want without having to remove the whole headlight every time. I'm saving right now to buy a 93 aero nose and 84 capri nose to mod them together like that one guy did here on the forums, that way I can convert back to my regular 85 nosepiece if I ever want to later on, and I just wanted to buy as little as I had too, I like that look, but want to keep my original front clip. I don't want to butcher it. but I'll butcher an aero nose anytime

therealmrmustang

Hella makes a composite conversion for sealed beams. Look here:

http://www.hellausa.com/maineng/NewL...sion_plus.html

Hope this helps.