Close

Default H3 LED Fog lamps

From time to time I exercise my mind with projects to keep my self sharp and fabricate solutions for my mustangs. I recently solved a fog lam p fitment issue on the 03 Cobra. The bulbs were to long and they couldn't be locked in place, so I at first gave up and then stewed over it for a couple months. Then I took another look at the bulb and modified the locking collar so I could adjust the depth of the LED. Problem solved.

Last week while I was working on the Cobra I got to thinking about the 86 GT and the Marchal fog lights. Did some searching on the web and found and H3 LED which I ordered a pair for $20. They got here today so I removed the L/S assy. and disassembled it to see if was possible to make these fit. The led element itself fits in reflector bucket but that's where the fitment issues stop or start depending on how you look at it.
    Basically the body after the leds is to big and long. Hmm what to do? I poured myself a glass of wine in the Man Cave and pondered the situation, slowly I started to develop a plan, which I'm going to dive in full bore tomorrow after I purchased the necessary materials today.

I'll leave it at that for now, more to come later. Incidentally, these leds are 6000K and 7000 lumens each.

Good info.
    Andy G.
    1986 Mustang GT vert, 2R, original owner, 5 spd, 19k miles
    1986 Mustang SVO, 1C, comp prep, 3rd owner, 48k miles
    1989 Ranger GT -SOLD-
    2004 T-Bird, triple black, SST

Tease....... lol
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

FEP Supporter

Any progress?
    '85 GT

This took more then one glass of wine to figure out I suppose... looking forward to seeing the end results

Got the prototype done finally, was going to take pictures but the camera battery took a dump, Please be patient, it'll be worth the wait I hope.

Just an update. I haven't forgot about corresponding pictures of this mod. I've had some trouble getting a battery for my camera so I went to BatteriesPlus and they wanted $30 for just one, so then I went on Amazon and found 2 plus a charger for $14.76. I really didn't need the charger but figured for the price it was a steal. More info coming with pictures. Be patient my fellow 4 Eyed bros.

As promised here are the pictures of the LED conversion.

Name:  DSCF0408.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  219.4 KB

Name:  DSCF0409.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  DSCF0410.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  201.0 KB

Name:  DSCF0411.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  134.0 KB

Name:  DSCF0412.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  116.7 KB

Name:  DSCF0418.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  163.5 KB

Name:  DSCF0419.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  243.9 KB

Name:  DSCF0420.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  183.2 KB

Name:  DSCF0421.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  99.1 KB

The first set of pictures are of the Cobra with just the fog lamps, then Lo beams with fog lamps, then Hi beams with fog lamps. Sorry this took so long but I ran into some unexpected delays. Let me know what you think.

Forgot to add, if I wanted to go back to the Halogen bulbs it would be easy to do with no further modifications other than inserting the wires back into the housing.

Can you please describe in more detail what you did. It's difficult to tell from the pictures. It looks like you had to drill out the back of the enclosure to accept the LED. Also, it looks like the terminals are exposed to the elements. Isn't that going to corrode or grime-up?
    1985 GT owned since new

I used a 3/4" broach to drill, out the hole in the rear of the housing, being very careful to have the location in the correct place. I used 3/4" copper tubing to extend the back of the housing for the length of the LED and drilled and tapped it to accept 10-32 x 3/8" set screws to hold the LED in the correct position. Then I used a small d/a to remove the black powder coating on the back of the housing and centered the copper tubing over the hole and soldered it into place. After that I repainted the housing.

I waited a day for the paint to cure then assembled everything. I used dielectric on the terminals, the ground terminal is the only one exposed to the elements. I thought about a cover for the rear of the LED but determined it wasn't necessary, perhaps at a later date. Unless you're driving in deep water constantly there really isn't that much to be concerned about the rear area being exposed, besides if that's the case you've got bigger problems to worry about than the fog lamps.

Once I got the LED in the proper alignment and tightened (gently) the set screws I marked the location on the base in case it needed to be readjusted at a later date. I hope this explains the procedure I developed and clarifies things for everyone, if there are any more questions about this mod please feel free to ask and I'll respond.

Just a further update, after giving some more thought to sealing the rear of the LED I've come up with a solution. 22mm shrink sleeve. I tried it on the 3/4" tubing and it's perfect. Thanks to Swearint for his post, it got me to rethinking this area.

Thanks for the update. I was hoping it would not require a permanent modification to the housing. The color temperature of the new LED looks nice though.
    1985 GT owned since new