Close

Default T-5 Neutral Safety Switch Pin

So I'm trying to assembly my T-5. I went to a ton of trouble to make my manual neutral safety switch work in a car that had been an automatic. Everything is good, including the switch itself. I tested the switch with an ohmmeter today. It's closed when out and open when in. But when you install it in the transmission, it's always in for some reason. No matter what gear it's in. Why would that be? The little pin is in there, and when you move the shifter, I can feel something happening at the pin, but it never goes in or out. Please help!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

is that switch adjustable?
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Top cover shaft has a groove for it
    Make sure its in the Grove

The only possibility, i think, is that the shift shaft was installed upside down. Which means the mother****er has to come apart for the 50th time. How else would it not be in the groove unless the groove was on the wrong side of the shaft.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Because its a shaft with a thru hole it can be installed with no orientation in mind however the shaft has a V cut into it 90 degrees ish from the hole making it orientation specific

You may be able to pull switch and pull pin out and take a look inside the hole to be certain

On my car there was 3 parts to the neutral safety no crank issue after I installed new engine

Fep member helped me out with harness
    Clutch pedal switch was jumped out
    Neutral safety switch was jumped
    Back up light switch harness was what was messing with the no crank I was having
    Its a built in redundancy I guess that was keeping power from going to the solenoid with key switch

Yeah.

The harness itself I'm done with, no need to do anything there. Sounds like you had a mess on your hands though. Mine was an auto harness I needed to convert. Yours sounds like it was just hacked!

I'm really impressed! I looked on the Badshoe video for how to put the top cover stuff together, and damned if it's not there! I could easily have seen an instructional video just be like "we don't have to do anything with ours; let's move on". It looks like all I need to do is knock a roll pin out, turn the shaft over, and reinstall it! A very pleasant surprise. You really helped me out here; thank you!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

This here roll pin

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Make sure its below flush so it doesn't grab those lugs ever so slightly
    It will be hard to shift or it will lock you out of gear and its something that stupid

also why your there make sure the shift lugs are assembled correctly and the roll pin in that body is assembled correctly with the flat c shaped ring its very very specific orientation

The lugs are identical and the first gear fork and 3 gear fork goes in specific order
    One on top of the other specifically

That c shaped ring goes in specifically

All the information you should have on that DVD

Its not straight forward if you don't have info and this is why I sent PM

Regarding my harness it was a crushed connector for the back up light that would not let ignition key to send 12v signal to solenoid

My father in law figured it out for me because I'm dumb

when that roll pin moves under that c shaped item for the shift fork the roll pin if sticking up will mess with your shifting

Make certain it doesn't catch it

Yeah, that actually happened one of the previous times we tried putting it together, the pin was sticking out too far. I will definitely double check everything. I DO NOT want to take this thing apart again after this. It's certainly a learning moment when everything that possibly CAN go wrong, HAS gone wrong.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Sounds like great progress

Well, I pulled it off. Took it all back apart, and sure enough, there's the shaft, upside down.

Drove the roll pin out, got the roll pin punch stuck in the shaft (everything can't go right, can it?), turned the shaft over, and drove it back in. I mocked up the cover, and tested the neutral safety switch, and we're all good. It's now closed in neutral and open in gear. I actually even managed to put the trans back together today too. It's amazing how easily things go when you've done it 100 times in a week.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Sorry to hear about all your troubles with this trans
    but it sounds like you are moving forward and will figure it out
    Good on you tho for checking it electrically and figuring this out.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

nice progress ..Stay with it
    I feel really sorry for this trans on test and tune night behind Meijer or Walmart lol

Sorry to to see your trouble. Appreciate you documenting though. Your write-up will help me when I drop mine to change the rear tail shaft bushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I mocked up the cover, and tested the neutral safety switch, and we're all good. It's now closed in neutral and open in gear.
    Switch on T5 top cover is not a 'safety' switch and has nothing to do with the starter circuit.

Paul

Yeah, after all the work I did in the spring to make sure the neutral safety circuit was hooked up correctly, i wasn't about to leave that to chance!

I'm less confident in the clutch situation being solved very soon, but at least this isn't in the way anymore. Transmission itself is good; case closed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1958 View Post
    Switch on T5 top cover is not a 'safety' switch and has nothing to do with the starter circuit.

Paul
    I did try to find an actual name for it, but even the EVTM is inconsistent about it, the switch at the clutch pedal, and the switch on the automatic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Paul -
    What does this switch do ? This let's some circuit know your not in gear
    You can put a plug in this and leave it out

I'm curious of its design purpose and during my new engine no power to coil situation

Yeah, that's what it does. Tells the computer you're in neutral so it can do things like adjust the idle accordingly. I believe it also won't let you run Key On Engine Running test unless it reads neutral, either here or at the clutch pedal. So if you take it out, no KOER for you unless you want to sit in the car with the clutch pedal in.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by graphicdesigner80 View Post
    Sorry to to see your trouble. Appreciate you documenting though. Your write-up will help me when I drop mine to change the rear tail shaft bushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the support. I changed my tailshaft bushing and it still leaks, so consider that when you decide if you want to even bother.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Yeah, that's what it does. Tells the computer you're in neutral so it can do things like adjust the idle accordingly. I believe it also won't let you run Key On Engine Running test unless it reads neutral, either here or at the clutch pedal. So if you take it out, no KOER for you unless you want to sit in the car with the clutch pedal in.

Ahhh
    Thanks