Close

Default Shorty header question

Im looking at shorty headers for my 82 GT. I have stock manifolds that have been converted to true dual exhaust. Can I but a set of headers 87+ that folks like LMR say can be used on 79 + cars that have been converted to true duals. Id like to do it but dont want the surprise of having to go back to the muffler shop.

Do you have AC?
    Did you do the header install before, and with the engine in the car?

Fwiw, Ford OEM headers are SUPER EASY to install when they are 100% new and the engine is supported on a 3 million dollar lift/hoist. ;-)
    Imho, otherwise, they suck monkey b*lls to install! :-)

One issue is that each port has to be 110 Percent perfectly aligned, just so that the headers can shake the bolts loose, and leak at a later date. :-)

Imho, you want a header with a heavy mounting flange.
    Like the BBK shorty header:
    https://www.bbkperformance.com/musta...mic-86-93.html

FRPP used to sell headers for 5.0's.
    No more. :-(

Imho, you do not want equal length headers for that extra 1.5hp above 5,000 rpms. They generate a lot of extra heat, and are a PITA in regards to melting spark plug wires.

And, you want a ceramic coated header, so that they don't rust out quickly.

My FRPP coated headers are rusty now (no coating left).
    But, they are also over 20 years old, and not leaking. :-)

Good Luck!
    Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 07-20-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Holy, header installs on a fox, bar equal shorties or full length, are a snap. compared to any overhead cam v8 that's come since, especially. I think it's reasonably likely headers will drop where the manifolds outlet but, those 82 heads won't be helped by them at all.

I'm not sure they end up in the same place as the stock manifolds. Was a h pipe put in to make it duals, or was it custom bent by a shop to fit up to the manifolds?
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

the header has a ball and socket connection, stock manifolds use a gasket

The shop that did it went from the manifold flanges back to create a true dual exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken14 View Post
    The shop that did it went from the manifold flanges back to create a true dual exhaust.
    I would highly suspect if you want shorty headers you will also require a new H pipe setup and probably a dual hump tranny crossmember. Or at least a trip back to shop and exhaust refitted.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Double hump crossmember is needed to install dual exhaust, This has been done. Starting to seem like more of a headache than its worth, as the car is mildly modified and doenst have twin turbo's, 3 stages of Nitrous etc......

I used headers off an 86 GT and full duals on my old 1979 coupe....along with a 600 cfm Holley and a 289 cam. That thing made maybe 200 horsepower back in the day....The heads were a no-compression cork, obviously.

Putting headers on mine made a difference, even with the original terrible heads and keeping the non-dual exhaust (stock y pipe to single). Adding the duals later helped a little more but not as much as just the headers did.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.