Close

Default 11" Brake upgrade - SVO calipers ?

I was trying to do my homework on what is required to upgrade the small 10" front brakes on my 80 to an OEM type 11" brake (87-93 5.0). I need to stay 4 lugs so my 16" TRX will still fit.

I know you need to find spindles from a 87-93 V8 car along with the 11" rotors, calipers, bearings, and hoses. I pulled a set of spindles off a junkyard car and my thoughts were to just buy all the consumable parts or maybe a kit to do the same etc.

Questions - I ran across some information that says you can use 84-86 SVO caliper & pads on the 11" rotor for the (87-93) as an upgrade to those years. Is it this simple or is it more involved than that and is it that much better etc? I also assume my TRX rims will fit this 11" setup.

I know people have upgraded many different ways on this site and probably know all the ins and outs. Comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Swap info here:

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/t...8_spindle.aspx

Changing to the 73mm front calipers will result in a significant decrease in braking performance. See my posts below for a description of the physics involved.

https://forums.corral.net/threads/ac...pgrade.712809/
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Good info thanks. I see there is maybe more to it than just "bigger" is an "upgrade"

FEP Member

Just went thru this on my 85 last winter. The 11" upgrades with stainless lines, stock calipers, hawk pads and the steel caliper bushings helped tremendously. I had contemplated the 73mm upgrade also, but there are many posts that dispel it's improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by 85WhiteGT View Post
    Just went thru this on my 85 last winter. The 11" upgrades with stainless lines, stock calipers, hawk pads and the steel caliper bushings helped tremendously. I had contemplated the 73mm upgrade also, but there are many posts that dispel it's improvement.
    Thanks for the feedback. Curious if you are still running the 4-lug rims and they fit OK afterwards etc ?

That depends on the wheel diameter, not the number of lugs. 14" wheels will not fit with 11" brakes. Some of the 15" steel rims will fit with 11" brakes, some will not. All of the 15" aluminum wheels will fit with the 11" brakes. I've seen rumors that there are Thunderbird 15" aluminum wheels or 1986 Mustang 15" aluminum wheels with a different part number (1985 or 86) that don't fit, but this is not confirmed.
    Jack Hidley

Thanks Jack, do you know if the old TRX metric rims will fit the 11" setup ? I think they were approximately a 15.25".

I got the new 16" version TRX rims so can't imagine why they wouldn't fit if the old style did etc.

I'm 99% sure that they fit with the 11" brakes.
    Jack Hidley

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Curious if you are still running the 4-lug rims and they fit OK afterwards etc ?
    Yup, I'm still 10 holes, they fit fine. If not staying 4 lug, the later brake combinations are probably more cost effective, but I enjoy the stock look.

Quote Originally Posted by 85WhiteGT View Post
    Yup, I'm still 10 holes, they fit fine. If not staying 4 lug, the later brake combinations are probably more cost effective, but I enjoy the stock look.
    No option for 5-lug as staying with the 16" TRX. Winter project sounds good so I think I will slowly accumulate some parts. Mainly just want the benefit of the bigger rotors etc.

Curious what brand of rotor you are using with your hawk pads ? I think you said you kept the stock calipers ?

FEP Member

I just had the stock rotor's turned and used Napa Calipers. You might check out tirerack, they had some stuff on clearance last winter, that's where I found the best price on pads.

Really like the TRX's. Back in the day, a friend had a set on his Mustang II, and really made it look good!

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    No option for 5-lug as staying with the 16" TRX. Winter project sounds good so I think I will slowly accumulate some parts. Mainly just want the benefit of the bigger rotors etc.

Curious what brand of rotor you are using with your hawk pads ? I think you said you kept the stock calipers ?
    Last edited by 85WhiteGT; 07-23-2020 at 04:38 PM. Reason: lost part of my text