Close

Default Heater core hose confusion

Name:  1595090822488695790823107103630.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  257.5 KB

In the restoration process of my Capri I pulled the dash and installed an AC heater box to replace the old non AC unit.

I also replaced the water cooler turbo with an HX 35 which is only oil cooled. I blocked off the passages which sent water to the turbo but I'm now left with a mystery of which hose goes to which port on the heater core.

This car is a 2.3 turbo car and I have one heater hose coming from The thermostat housing and another heater hose that is coming I believe off the bottom of the intake manifold.

The heater core that I replaced had two different size tubes on it. One it's 5/8 and one that looks to be 3/4.

If you know which heater core port should be connected to which of the heater hoses off the motor I would be most grateful. I'm working on texting this up today and hopefully we'll have water in this motor with a new cooling system.

New User

Take a look a RockAuto as then generally describe what hose goes where. Good luck.

https://www.rockauto.com/

Not sure if this will help or not...

Name:  Heater Hose Routing.png
Views: 131
Size:  37.0 KB
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

I checked out RockAuto without success. If I'm looking at the diagram posted above I think the tube that comes off of the passenger side of the motor should connect to the passenger side heater core inlet and the tube coming from the driver side of the motor should connect to the driver side heater core inlet. now the next question is which side does the restrictor go in?

Picture of my 84 RS Turbo (see my build thread or flickr for a ton more).

Here is link to the part #'s for all the different hoses I used: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ht=Gates+19190

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  124.7 KB
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Hmm, the metal line that doubles back doesn't look like mine at all. Can you take a picture from about a foot farther out?

Your pictures have been a tremendous help!!!!! My upper line from the thermostat housing is from an 85-6 SVO with the T aspect to feed a turbo. It is for sure different then yours. The line coming around the back of the block may be 86 SVO or it may be 83 Capri.. I don't recall. While my car is an 83 Turbo RS and originally probably came with the same upper tube as your 84, in 1997 I decided to upgrade the turbo to water cooled SVO unit and add an intercooler.

Now I have an HX35 and I don't need the water cooling but the 1997 me never thought I'd want to go back to oil cooled turbo so I chucked the original tubes in the trash. WHOOPS!

Do you know which side gets the restrictor in it?

Hose restrictor goes in the supply side (the big side).

This thread on SVOCOP shows the hoses close to what you have: https://www.svocop.com/forum/showthr...ull=1#post5964

Name:  15954710151532772527713528386635.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  265.3 KB

Here's what I ended up with. The gates hose used to bypass heater cores is on one side and a similar U bend is on the other.

Looks great!