Close

Default New here , 87 5.0 timing

Hi

I have a friend with a 64 Falcon. it has a 302 swapped in it. the block is a 87. currently is carb on it but I believe it was fuel injected originally. It has a distributor with the black box connected to it.

What he would like to know is what should the timing be set at with his set up.

thanks any help would be great.

I believe factory is 10° btdc. Many bump it to 12-14.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Now this is now running a carb no computer control.

It has the black box going to the distributor. does that control spark.
    Sorry I am not up on Fords yet.

thanks

The induction really doesn't have anything to do with the ignition directly. Timing is timing regardless of injection or carb.
    When you say little black box, you could always attach a picture, but again, timing is timing.
    Remove vacuum hose and plug it, set timing to 10-14 degrees btdc.
    A 64 Falcon had points ignition. So impossible to tell what's there now without a picture or him telling you what it has for ignition. Year of motor is pretty much irrelevant. I am building a 1970 302 block to basically 1989 specs going in a 1981 body (serpentine, no mechanical fuel pump, etc).

No reason to be sorry. I've asked lots of questions.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 07-18-2020 at 11:00 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

As stated above, the induction is not really a factory in regards to base timing. The 87 Mustang was generally set to 10 Degrees initial advance with the spout pulled from the distributor. Being that you don't have EFI, I am guessing you are running a Duraspark setup or something aftermarket. I also assume you are running vacuum advance. So as stated pull the vacuum line (shouldn't have to plug it if ported), set your initial timing between 8 and 10 degrees to start. Drive the vehicle and adjust from there. Many will run 12-14 degrees advanced as noted, how your 302 starts will determine if you can run that much or not. Here is a Duraspark ignition module which is what we guess you have. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...YaAvYWEALw_wcB If it doesn't look like that, then most likely you are running an aftermarket setup such as MSD, Mallory, etc. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

As all stated above, and it really depends on his set up for a stab best guess at what his initial timing should be.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/