Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Man that is a super nice car for having sat that long. I love it. You didn't actually "ask" for advice but I am going to offer some anyway. From someone who was driving these in the '80s, There is nothing wrong with the OEM setup of quadrant and clutch cable. Those replacement adjusters are largely just Chinese junk. The OEM quadrant lasts 200,000 miles and 35 years (if the car is used as FORD intended it to be used) and people call it "inferior" which I never understood. I have an '84 GT sitting in the garage that I have had since 1986 that is 36 years old and has 275,000 miles on it that has the OEM quadrant. The cable was replaced with another OEM Ford one some years ago. If you build a drag car out of it, that is not what Ford intended and therefore the OEM quadrant is not being used as intended. The warranty (which is all FORD cares about) was 12 months or 12,000 miles at best. To say that a factory part that lasts 30+ years in most every case is ridiculous. Much like those who replace the quality Duraspark setup for the Chinese MSD (My Spark Disappeared) junk.

I realize you didn't set out to replace it, it just broke on you so I understand that. I just think it's easy to get discouraged and side-tracked because now you have a new problem you didn't have before. I don't want it to sit another 10 years. I want you to be out cruising!
    Last edited by homer302; 07-26-2020 at 03:48 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Not to worry guys I’m not getting discouraged or offended by any advice or even the rookie looks I know I’m getting. This is all about learning and having fun while putting together a car I’ve wanted to be able to drive since a kid. Please give any and all advice, trust me i need it.
    The car is sitting on jack stands while I finish up the breaks and put on a fresh set of tires. This week is the week, it’s first roll down the block. Turns out when replacing the clutch cable and quadrant I broke the clutch safety switch. After getting a new one and priming the system the car started right up and sounds great. I have a new radiator sitting by waiting to go in and slowly working on the body, a work in progress forsure. I’ll get some pictures up soon on how all the trim I painted turned out and where I found a few holes in the body that needs some attention.

AllAboutTheBubble great start and those BBS look great on there. They look just like mine are those 15" BBS/Mahles? Looking forward to seeing more progress as your youth and enthusiasm drive you forward. Hope to see you get on the the road this week! Everyone on FEP is on your side and we like lots of pictures!!
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12