Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pops Hammy Down 84 Capri

This has been a project I have been looking forward to doing for a long time now and its finally starting, again. The car has been sitting uncovered for roughly twenty years now and the last time its been tuned over and driven down the street was about ten years about when i thought this project was going to first take off. I was just turning eighteen and thought I was ready but after an oil change, bleeding the breaks and a new battery I lost interest. its ten year later, got my own space, and much more dedication. Pops handed me off the keys and i towed this beauty on over, bare with me i have pretty much zero background in auto work but I'm a quick learner, have some money set aside, and ready for the battle. Any and all help would be very much appreciated.Name:  IMG_4643.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  344.1 KBName:  61362047545__FF92723E-D257-4A4D-84A5-AB16CDAE67A3.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  236.4 KB
    Last edited by AllAboutTheBubble; 07-17-2020 at 08:28 AM.

Looks like a great project. Keep us posted and more pics after a clean up. How’s the interior ?

You sure it;s a 83? Looks like it cleaned up nice..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

WOW! If any of my projects looked that nice when I started they would all be done by now!

Great starting point for a cool Capri! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Welcome to FEP.. Man she cleaned up nice.... Yes, more pics..

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    You sure it;s a 83? Looks like it cleaned up nice..
    Your right man it’s not an 83, it’s an 84... Call it first post jitters, can’t even get the year of my car right lol. Thank you though, I’ll get some more pictures up soon. It doesn’t look as nice in my garage as it did all freshly washed in the sun.

the lower air dam was a clue..lol...any Capri on the road looks good no mater the condition..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Wow that's a beautiful ride!! Keep us posted ��
    1980 Mustang Ghia 3.3 4spd

After getting the car towed over I got a new oil filter, drained the oil, gas, coolant then replaced everything. Got a refurbished 'wrong size battery' (couldn't find the right one at the pick N pull) but it will do for now. After some cleaning and poking around I thought just maybe the car would kick over but as long as the motor wasn't seized I was a happy camper. I pushed the clutch pedal in and noticed the first wrong thing, the clutch pedal stuck to the floor and didn't have any tension. so I turn the key anyways just to see and Bam! she turned over but wouldn't start, I figured that was the best possible outcome after ten years of sitting in the backyard. Name:  IMG_4881.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  323.0 KBName:  IMG_4882.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  172.2 KBName:  IMG_4719.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  161.7 KB

I do have both front seats but they're worked pretty bad, I know from my dad that the hood isn't the original but other then that everything is here. I'm putting a plan together right now and going to set a budget, thinking around the five grand range with 300 - 400 hp in mind. Ive got the project underway, ordered a new clutch cable and quadrant from LMR. I called a friend over who has built a few mustangs in his time for the assist with the clutch cable and after getting the old one out and new one in I finally had tension in my clutch pedal. I jump in the car to see if it will fire up but now I can't even get the car to turn over. So something went wrong when installing the new clutch cable and quadrant. I also got the firewall adjuster but it didn't fit in the firewall, the hole was too small for the new part. Right now I really just want the see the car run down the street and then i will start with performance parts and upgrades. I want the car to look all original but sound mean with the HP to match.
    Last edited by AllAboutTheBubble; 07-17-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Good looking Capri and glad you're trying to take care of it. A word of really good advice . . . ALWAYS prime & prelube an engine that's been sitting for a long time. Firing it up with internal dry and oxidized spots inside the engine can easily spin a bearing or similar problem - which could mean engine disassembly and a huge delay and expense. Learned that from my Dad, after sitting only 2-years - he dry-started his 1965 Buick Riviera GS Gran Sport 455 and it fired right up but immediately wiped-out a bearing & ruined the crankshaft. He parked it and never did get back to tearing it all down and we sold it for parts a few years ago. It was a rare beautiful car until that fateful decision of not taking a few extra steps to make sure it was actually ready to be started. My Dad knew better than to do that (he used to rebuild engines and transmissions in his spare time) but he was working a lot of hours and had a lot of demands on his time & life at the time.

Some might have a few opinions on how to start a motor that's been sitting for a while. It's always a good idea to pull the sparkplugs and spray all of the cylinders with a lightweight penetrating & lubricating oil. Some would probably recommend (at the very least) pulling the coil wire from the distributor (so the engine doesn't have spark) and cranking the engine over a number of times for intervals of 10-seconds each or so, to build-up some oil pressure and get oil pumping through the oil galleries etc. Some will pull the distributor and attach a drill to the oil pump shaft and pump oil through the system that way. I'm sure there's a few other tricks or recommendations, some perhaps more proper/approved than others. Just wanted to throw the suggestions out there and am kind of glad that it DIDN'T start right up for you - it could've done some real damage if it fired-up internally dry. Hope you get it fixed and just take the advice for whatever it's worth
    #1) 1985 Mercury Capri 5.0L 4V 5-Speed T-Roof Motorsport Grand Prix IV
    #2) 1985 Mercury Capri 5.0L 4V 5-Speed T-Roof

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by MERCURY MOTORSPORT View Post
    Good looking Capri and glad you're trying to take care of it. A word of really good advice . . . ALWAYS prime & prelube an engine that's been sitting for a long time. Firing it up with internal dry and oxidized spots inside the engine can easily spin a bearing or similar problem - which could mean engine disassembly and a huge delay and expense. Learned that from my Dad, after sitting only 2-years - he dry-started his 1965 Buick Riviera GS Gran Sport 455 and it fired right up but immediately wiped-out a bearing & ruined the crankshaft. He parked it and never did get back to tearing it all down and we sold it for parts a few years ago. It was a rare beautiful car until that fateful decision of not taking a few extra steps to make sure it was actually ready to be started. My Dad knew better than to do that (he used to rebuild engines and transmissions in his spare time) but he was working a lot of hours and had a lot of demands on his time & life at the time.

Some might have a few opinions on how to start a motor that's been sitting for a while. It's always a good idea to pull the sparkplugs and spray all of the cylinders with a lightweight penetrating & lubricating oil. Some would probably recommend (at the very least) pulling the coil wire from the distributor (so the engine doesn't have spark) and cranking the engine over a number of times for intervals of 10-seconds each or so, to build-up some oil pressure and get oil pumping through the oil galleries etc. Some will pull the distributor and attach a drill to the oil pump shaft and pump oil through the system that way. I'm sure there's a few other tricks or recommendations, some perhaps more proper/approved than others. Just wanted to throw the suggestions out there and am kind of glad that it DIDN'T start right up for you - it could've done some real damage if it fired-up internally dry. Hope you get it fixed and just take the advice for whatever it's worth
    I hear you loud and clear man, I got excited to finally have the car in my possession and jumped the gun. I do honestly think that right now I'm having a clutch problem, and didn't do damage to the engine but with that being said i really don't know what I'm doing. I'm gong to go over the clutch cable install again and make sure its engaging properly because right now even without pushing the clutch down you can freely move the shifter. I'm not sure if there is a safety switch in this car but I'm going to read up and see what I can find. I'm also glad the car didn't start right up considering everything I've run into after taking a closer look. I appetite the advice and will defiantly be taking the right precautions before trying to start the car again.

Good glad that you're enthusiastic with it. It'll be a fun car once you get her going. The 4-eyes in particular turn a lot of heads and being a Capri, even more so. Not sure what the issue is exactly with the clutch but I'm sure some will have good suggestions and/or there's plenty of clutch troubleshooting threads here on FourEyedPride, this site is the best forum for early Fox owners. FYI I believe Ford/Mercury didn't install safety switches until the 1986 model year. As a addendum to my above post, remember to change the oil again pretty much right away after you do get it started - especially if you spray the cylinder walls etc and because of possible moisture & oxidation residues etc. I'll definitely peek-in on this thread to see how it progresses too

Nice Capri! Looks like a great starting point! I got my 84 from my Dad back in 1990 and he bought it new in 1984. For $5000 you should able to get pretty close to 300hp. A nice HCI swap will put you right in the ball park.

Good luck with your project and welcome to the site!
    Robert
    Last edited by Hemlock; 07-25-2020 at 02:01 AM.
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

FEP Super Member

Check your clutch pedal safety switch . Make sure it is plugged in , or the engine will not turn over .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I was gonna say check the switch on the clutch pedal. It wont crank unless its plugged in and being depressed by the clutch pedal. PRIME THAT OIL SYSTEM FIRST PLEASE. Very good looking car, btw.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

A heads-up (I was trying to say the same above) that it looks like only 1986-1993 cars have the starter/clutch pedal switch. It's a good suggestion and one of the first things to check . . . but only on the later Foxes. The OP said his is a '84. Unless someone added one for some reason? Doubtful but ya never know with some of these cars (and their previous owners!)

FEP Super Member

My 84 has the clutch safety switch.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    My 84 has the clutch safety switch.
    Same here
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

My 84 has the Clutch safety switch as well

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Just looked into my catalogs and you guys are absolutely right. The OP had better check his pedal switch for sure and it was good advice.

1984 was the first year Ford integrated the manual transmission clutch pedal starter safety switch.

So 1979-1983 Mustang Capri do not have the switch.

It seems to be a common mod for many to bypass the switch (I'd never recommend it). It also seems common for 79-83 owners TO ADD a switch, for personal safety reasons and particularly if they're into racing. Looking at enough forum posts about the subject, some report that their local dragstrip inspectors have wanted to see switches installed (despite the regulations requiring a switch only on cars factory-equipped with them) so they've added them to stop being questioned & harassed about it.

For some reason - vendors like LMR & American Muscle & Fox Mustang Restoration etc all list replacement switches for 1986-1993 (some list it 1986-2004). This has me wonder if the switches for 1984-1985 are different than the 1986-1993 versions? I wonder why 1984 and 1985 are not listed by most major vendors?

For some reason - vendors like LMR & American Muscle & Fox Mustang Restoration etc all list replacement switches for 1986-1993 (some list it 1986-2004). This has me wonder if the switches for 1984-1985 are different than the 1986-1993 versions? I wonder why 1984 and 1985 are not listed by most major vendors?
    In my experience many of these vendors have very little hands on experience with the 79-86 cars and especially the 79-84 cars. I also think that many use the 86-93 notation due to the 86 model being the first SEFI 5.0 and that seeming to be the same through the 93 model. The vendors can be good sources of information, but they still often get model years incorrect on many parts and pieces.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Sharp ride.

My 84 RS Turbo doesn't look that good after sitting INSIDE for the last 20 years. Workin it, though.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Wraithracing, about your username - did you watch (and like) the Charlie Sheen 1986 car flick "The Wraith" when you were growing up lol. I did, but I was a young teen into fast cars and sci-fi too lol. Anyways, I think of that movie every time I see your name

You're right about most of the vendors really being marketers and not being overwhelmingly familiar with the products they're selling. Having owned 3x 1985 Capri's over the past 15-years, I bump into this problem a lot. 1985 (and sometimes earlier) gets left out of the parts fitment guidelines quite often . . . sometimes rightfully - and sometimes unrightfully. It doesn't help that Ford did make quite a few parts that only fit 1984-1985 only, or 1984-1986 only, and just 1985 only! It kills me how many times I've had to spend extra reseach time trying to sort-out correct fitment which differs from what the Mustang vendors state

On my rebuilt 86 capri I had the pedal switch, but down by the transmission harness there is a connector that would go to the T5 neutral switch, the replacement T5 I bought does not have that switch on top. It starts when pedal is depress like normal but when I plug in the yellow tester I cant do the engine running test unless I sit there and hold the clutch in to the floor. Im thinking of running a jumper wire at the connector
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Wraithracing, about your username - did you watch (and like) the Charlie Sheen 1986 car flick "The Wraith" when you were growing up lol. I did, but I was a young teen into fast cars and sci-fi too lol. Anyways, I think of that movie every time I see your name

You're right about most of the vendors really being marketers and not being overwhelmingly familiar with the products they're selling. Having owned 3x 1985 Capri's over the past 15-years, I bump into this problem a lot. 1985 (and sometimes earlier) gets left out of the parts fitment guidelines quite often . . . sometimes rightfully - and sometimes unrightfully. It doesn't help that Ford did make quite a few parts that only fit 1984-1985 only, or 1984-1986 only, and just 1985 only! It kills me how many times I've had to spend extra reseach time trying to sort-out correct fitment which differs from what the Mustang vendors state
    YEP! Loved that movie growing up. GOD is it hard to watch these days, but I still have on a few occasions. Hmm Sherilyn Fenn! Oh wait it was the cars! Yeah the cars that why I watched that movie!

Ok back on track, agreed that unfortunately there are a lot of small changes Ford made during the Fox life span that many manufacturers either aren't aware of or just don't seem to care. Sure 79-93 is completely interchangeable . . . Yeah! Not exactly. You can make it fit, make it work, but it's not always a simple bolt on. By the way BIG FAN of your Grand Prix Capri!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller