Close

Question World Class T5 Questions

I have searched the forums and have found quite a bit of info on the T5. I purchased a ton of SVO parts and the T5 that came with it appears (by the tag) to be an 85-86 SVO World Class T5.

E5ZA-7003-EA REP: AG
    13-52-116 17031 M1753

My questions are as follows...

Is there a way to confirm if it's a WC from the outside without opening it up?
    I have found mixed info regarding the gearing on this T5. Can anyone Verify the gearing for 1st gear?
    I am told this is the most desirable stock 4 cyl T5, Does that sound correct?
    Next question is subjective, I know but what is this worth with 65k miles? I have the trans, bell housing, flywheel, spacer plate, a full clutch setup with around 65k on it, and even the pedal setup and the Hurst shifter base.

Thanks in advance.

You may find this helpful.

https://lmr.com/products/mustang-t5-transmission-specs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Default Ford T5 ID chart

Name:  trans T5 id chart.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  148.5 KB

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    You may find this helpful.

https://lmr.com/products/mustang-t5-transmission-specs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Using the transmission tag decoder in my signature...

E5ZR-7003-EA = manual transmission (R) originally engineered for 1985 (E5) Mustang (Z), release level EA
    REP-AG
    13-52-116 = 1985-86 SVO World Class transmission
    17031 = serial #17031
    M1753 = built on December 17th, 1985 on 3rd shift
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Can you post a pic of the tag? I collect them.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by 84 Turbo GT Vert View Post
    Is there a way to confirm if it's a WC from the outside without opening it up?
    Externally speaking,the bearing race that sits behind & slightly below the bearing retainer (which the throwout bearing rides on) is what id's whether its a Non WC or WC T5.The images below detail this difference.Before you install the T5,I highly recommend buying and running a steel bearing retainer vs the oem aluminum piece.The base will remain aluminum,but the tube portion that the TO bearing rides on is made from steel.It prevents the TO bearing from wearing grooves in the retainer,like the oem all aluminum piece will do.This prevents engagement/disengagement issues that occur when the retainer tube develops grooves.It also prevents flex which also contributes to engagement/disengagement issues.

The images below wont open when clicked to show text,so the following text details which is which................

(1st image)

WC T5 w/ WC bearing race.......

(2nd image)

NWC bearing race on left.......

WC bearing race on right.......
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by wbrockstar; 07-16-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Once I figure out how to post pics...

1) Type your post in the message box

2) Click on the Advanced box (in blue) below your post

3) Click on the Manage Attachment box (in blue)

4) Click on the Add Files box (in blue) to the far right

5) Click on the Choose File box (in gray) to the far right

6) Locate your image

7) Click on Upload (in blue)

Click on the Done box (in blue) at the far right

9) Click on the Submit Reply box (in blue) and your post should pop up with the newly added image(s).

Nice little article on World Class (WC) & Non-World Class (NWC) T5 transmissions here:

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About The T-5 Five-Speed
    http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...t-5-five-speed

Also it's said as a general rule (supposedly consistent with Fox Mustang/Capri) that there's a couple of easy exterior identifiers also.

Identification of the BorgWarner T-5 with the ID tag missing!
    http://www.pro-forceperformance.com/...tification.htm

Retainer Bolt
    The NON-WC Mustang T-5s have a hex bolt on the left side of the main case near the top where the WC Mustang T-5s have a Star-Shaped security (Torx) bolt in that location. This has been pretty consistent with the Mustang, but NOT with the GM transmissions. If you see the hex bolt in this position it would be a NON-WC unit, but the presence of the Torx bolt does NOT guarantee a WC transmission. Keep in mind that these two styles of bolts are functionally interchangeable.

Drain Plugs
    Early drain plugs have a square head sticking out that accepts a wrench and the later plugs have a square hole in them that accepts a 3/8 ratchet. These square head plugs generally appear on the Mustang NON-WC units as well as the early GM units, Later NON-WC T-5 transmissions have the 3/8 ratcet type. Either type CAN appear on either type of transmission because they are interchangeable
    We ID'd my first 1985 Capri T5 as a WC unit about 15-years ago by the Torx/Star bolt head. A later check of the ID tag confirmed it was indeed a WC T5
    #1) 1985 Mercury Capri 5.0L 4V 5-Speed T-Roof Motorsport Grand Prix IV
    #2) 1985 Mercury Capri 5.0L 4V 5-Speed T-Roof

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle

Try...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Got it. Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Got it. Thanks.
    Any idea the value?