Close

Default This Might Be a Dumb Question

Hello

So i am wanting to do a 5 lug and disc brake swap on my car.

I have been researching everything and I see that north race cars should have what I need

But just have to ask-

What is an “anti-moan bracket”?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have no idea what they are or why they are called that.

thanks

go easy on me I’m new lmao
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Supporter

They are secondary brackets that clamp around the axle tube and also are affixed to the caliper mounting bracket where the caliper mounts. Their purpose is to stiffen the assembly and help abate noise that can happen when moving in reverse.

Tons of pictures, just use ye' ol' google to view.

IMO they are not a must have. I don't have 'em and it doesn't matter to me one bit.
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    They are secondary brackets that clamp around the axle tube and also are affixed to the caliper mounting bracket where the caliper mounts. Their purpose is to stiffen the assembly and help abate noise that can happen when moving in reverse.

Tons of pictures, just use ye' ol' google to view.

IMO they are not a must have. I don't have 'em and it doesn't matter to me one bit.
    Thank you so much for the helpful response!
    I saw the pictures when I searched, and I know what they look like. But I have a lot of straight axle disc brake Fords and have never seen anything like that.
    if there is a caliper bracket, why a need for a secondary bracket? I think that is why I was confused as to why they are needed.
    And the name is kinda weird, you gotta admit lol

Thanks again much appreciated
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Senior Member

It just triangulates the caliper bracket to make it stiffer. Some people experience low speed brake vibrations or "moaning" sounds from the rear brakes without them. Other people don't have the brackets and don't have any problems. You should be able to get a set from a Mustang GT in the junkyard if you are running the GT rear brakes. They just bolt on to the axle tubes. The old Turbo Coupes had an anti-moan bracket welded to the axle tube. The Cobra rear brakes take a larger bracket and they are relatively difficult to find and expensive when you do find them.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire