Close

Default 1982 hood scoop stud holes stripped

Getting ready to use my scoop and installed the studs and they are all stripped.

Recommendations to Permanently install my studs? JB weld, etc...?

Thanks
    82 ford fairmont futura
    quicktime turbosystems 70mm turbo
    10.67@128.38

FEP Supporter

I'd probably use JB Weld or another adhesive myself.

Can it be built up inside with some fibreglass resin and then screwed back in instead? Maybe even use the resin and be able to remove the stud if needed in future?

I had a few of those fasteners stripped on my 80 cobra hood scoop and other places.

The holes were not totally gone but enough that it wouldn't tighten....so I ended up using some 1/4 inch hanger bolts from home depot with some PL premium construction adhesive on the lag screw end and let setup for full 24 hrs. So far so good no issues !!

Name:  hillman-hanger-bolts-dowel-screws-44945-64_1000.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  36.0 KB

I think I would use some sort of epoxy, JB Weld or other. The problem I have had in the past is that the stud wants to unscrew from the piece rather than the nut unscrewing from the stud. I would hope that epoxy could prevent that happening.

A quality 2 part urethane or 2 part Epoxy designed for fiberglass/plastic will do the job. I have done this exact repair on many occasions. Mix up the urethane/epoxy and using a small mixing stick or similar fill the existing stud hole almost the top. Then thread the stud into the hole and wipe off any excess. Allow to fully cure as per instructions and you should be good.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yeah these stock fasteners are not ideal when the nuts rust weld themselves onto the stud. And then there is no way of holding them and because of the built in washer you end up turning out the fastener from the mount under tension which isn't very good for anything

When I removed the front fenders on my son's car this was the case where they join to the bumper. Frustrating.

If you happen to try the fasteners I mentioned they tend to be a bit long on the lag end and may need to be ground a bit but diameter wise they do fit the holes quite well. If you can glue or epoxy them in as well should be pretty close to the original. I also used stainless nuts and washers for future considerations. My scoop hasn't flew off yet LOL