Close

Default What is this green plastic connector?

What is it? Located on passenger side right next to battery tray. 1981 Granada.

I need a switched power source for my electric fan install and am wondering if I can tap in to this. (Pretty sure the wire I need to connect is to run the fan relay as I have a heavy wire already going to the solenoid for power)

Wires are a green on one side (power?) And two black (one with a green stripe/twist) on the other (assuming ground). If it's a switched source I am golden.

Car is not yet ready to have a battery installed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 07-09-2020 at 02:44 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I am pretty sure it goes to the pressure switch on the A/C Accumulator or Dryer on the part you have there. The Ambient Temperature Sensor plugs into that.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

So, not switched power then?
    Car didn't have A/C, but they all probably got the same wiring.

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

I am using a 4-prong ignition solenoid. The one not normally used ( I ) is labeled as 'Terminal- Ignition voltage'.
    Is that a switched source I can use? It's been a long time since I messed with one of these.
    I guess I should have put this in electrical. If a Mod moves it I understand.

Edit: according to Google and it's sources I won't be able to use the 'I' terminal for that. It was used on older points style ignition to boost coil voltage while cranking the starter.

Last edited by richpet; 07-10-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    So, not switched power then?
    Car didn't have A/C, but they all probably got the same wiring.

my car is non AC and I also have that green plug
    My buddy has a 78 Fairmont with AC and his green connector does go to the ambient sensor.
    mine is just an empty plug like yours
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Massacre- as a sensor plug, when the key is on it should have power, right? Assuming there is a fuse installed for it under the dash of course.

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    Massacre- as a sensor plug, when the key is on it should have power, right? Assuming there is a fuse installed for it under the dash of course.

I’m sorry, i don’t have an answer for you.
    but i can ask my buddy to check his.
    my harness is out of the car right now.

You could put a voltmeter on it and see if it has voltage and how much.
    Then trace that through the car and see what fuse the circuit goes through
    Last edited by massacre; 07-10-2020 at 03:04 PM.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I thought about that, but no battery at this point yet. I am also looking at the alternator plug since I am doing a 1-wire alternator and bypassing the original stuff. Been scouring online to see if I can read the schematics and figure out if one of these is switched power.
    Just don't want the fans to run when I shut the car off and I'd prefer not to run wires from front passenger side all the way to driver's side or in to the car.
    Appreciate you checking with your friend.

From what I seem to find online, the red/green wire is hot with ignition on, which is what I'm looking for.
    Just wish I could confirm it. I know I'll need a battery at some point, just haven't gotten there yet.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD
    About half way down shows wire color/'hot in run.'

Just curious if anyone sees that and thinks the same way I do - that that wire is hot with key on.

Last edited by richpet; 07-11-2020 at 07:14 PM.

FEP Member

Hook a small battery to your battery cables, doesn't have to be a car battery. Or hook jumper cables to the car, assuming you can get close enough.

I was actually going along those lines. My Bronco battery is 8 1/2 years old so I bought a brand new battery for it and am going to out the old one in the car just to test wires and such.
    Glad I did too! Turns out the FSB positive lead was real corroded and the bolt tightening it to the post was almost gone. The nut was 80% gone! But, it will work for this.

Sheesh. Hooked up the battery. High beams are good, one low doesn't work. One taillight doesn't work, one rear marker doesn't work, different sides of course. All bulbs are brand new and LED so I just have to trace the wires to find the issue. I noted a few 'repairs' (black taped spots) in the trunk by the PO which is where I will start. As for headlights I probably just need to check wire position.
    Blower motor sounds like gravel in a can so it will be coming out.
    No 'key on' hots on the passenger side. I found a couple always hots. But I found two on the drivers side easily enough- one was to the old coil connecter and one to the old Duraspark, both of which are removed since I am using an HEI distributor.
    More work to do now, but that's the name of the game.

FEP Member

Accurate data is always valuable, even if less than favorable.

Yup! I might wait on the HVAC motor until fall- I don't need it to drive the car during warm months. I am going to focus on road worthy issues, hopefully put a few miles on it, then do that later this year. I may even temporarily bypass the heater core since I think I have to remove it to do the motor and I can avoid any coolant spilling on the passenger side floor that way.
    I've never been an electrical guy before, but I am learning basics. Tracing wires hopefully is more logic than skill. Done it before. Thankfully there are literally no sensors or computers to deal with!

According to an online search,a 81 Granada appears to use the same ignition switch as a Foxbody does.If so,the harness that plugs into it has a red/green wire that feeds 12v power to the coil during key on/engine off,key on/ engine running & key in start/ engine cranking.It also has a pink/white wire that changes to red/blue after the clutch safety switch or neutral safety switch.It feeds 12v power to the starter relay during start/ crank mode only.If you've got the red/green wire or its equivalent,its a 12v wire you could tap into.

Thanks.
    Been playing with a test light and have marked two wires for use.
    Dark when key is off, light when key is on and full voltage.
    One goes to old Duraspark plug, one to old coil connector.
    Forget the colors off hand though.

[QUOTE=richpet;1927305]Thanks.
    Been playing with a test light and have marked two wires for use.
    Dark when key is off, light when key is on and full voltage.
    One goes to old Duraspark plug, one to old coil connector.
    Forget the colors off hand though.

Good deal man.
    Last edited by wbrockstar; 07-16-2020 at 12:59 PM.