Close

Thread: S550 pace car

Default S550 pace car

I still think the 79 looks way better

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
    82 Capri BM, 84 Mustang Gt, 88 T-Bird TC, 93 Mustang

Honestly, it looks confused.

Fail. Major fail. But I can't say I blame them. Mustang buyers have proven time and time again that they will pay whatever Ford wants (plus dealer markup) and be fans of whatever Ford builds so long as it has a Pony sticker on it. (MACH-E anyone???? Why, exactly do you think that exists?) I've been saying this for at least a decade. The S550 is NO Mustang. Never was. It's a huge, fat, bloated, wallowing in the mud pig of a thing. Nothing like a Mustang was supposed to be. But I can't say I blame Ford. People buy them as fast as they can build them. Puddle lights, and lighted door sills and heated seats. Woohoo. Whatever. If I was in charge I would be doing the same thing. Hey, bet I can get people to pay $55,000 PLUS a $10,000 markup for a "Bullitt" that's actually just a green $38,000 Mustang GT with $7,000 worth of parts anyone can buy. They probably had bets on it. Really, that's no worse than the 2.5 ton GT500 is. People lining up and paying a premium to own a $100,000 Mustang. What a joke. Lee Iacocca is rolling over in his grave. He hated the 1971 Mustang. I can't even fathom what he would've thought of this beast.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-08-2020 at 04:38 PM.

At least they could've put the gt500 or gt350 front facia to make it look meaner.

Where is the Fourth Running Pony on the Driver Side!?
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

"Redwood Acres Raceway"??? A 3/8 mile track in Eureka, California.

What the...? Not a very exciting venue for the 2020 Mustang Pace Car.

Mike

The Pace car graphics looks tacky on that S550. The 79 Pace car looks much much better.

Yeah... No.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Fail. Major fail. But I can't say I blame them. Mustang buyers have proven time and time again that they will pay whatever Ford wants (plus dealer markup) and be fans of whatever Ford builds so long as it has a Pony sticker on it. (MACH-E anyone???? Why, exactly do you think that exists?) I've been saying this for at least a decade. The S550 is NO Mustang. Never was. It's a huge, fat, bloated, wallowing in the mud pig of a thing. Nothing like a Mustang was supposed to be. But I can't say I blame Ford. People buy them as fast as they can build them. Puddle lights, and lighted door sills and heated seats. Woohoo. Whatever. If I was in charge I would be doing the same thing. Hey, bet I can get people to pay $55,000 PLUS a $10,000 markup for a "Bullitt" that's actually just a green $38,000 Mustang GT with $7,000 worth of parts anyone can buy. They probably had bets on it. Really, that's no worse than the 2.5 ton GT500 is. People lining up and paying a premium to own a $100,000 Mustang. What a joke. Lee Iacocca is rolling over in his grave. He hated the 1971 Mustang. I can't even fathom what he would've thought of this beast.

I understand where this comes from Homer. Thanks for the headz up Hombre.

The issue is traditionalists don't understand the emerging car culture, and how everything is travelling back to the P-A-S-T, and blQQdy F-A-S-T, to pre Studebaker, non 49 er Ford, but pre 46 style forms. In another 15 years, you'll get it. The "Machete" IS the best thing to keep the platform alive, because everything is moving back to crossover and traction control like an Eagle SX4.

How you put a mobile placard of Hop Sing advertising on a curvaceous Stang....that's it!

No room for a fourth horse.

I flat out LOVE it.

Home run!

Sorry guys.

And the 71-73 FatStang, I love it as much as the Fox Stang.

And Lee, he'll be laughing like hell, IMHO.

He gave us all three Stangs.

The x Stang,
    the Mustang Two,
    and the FOx Stang. (Just before his butt got fired by the Boss!).

A win is a win isa win.

It was all a trifecta.

I'll bet the Bunkie Fraud MustFangs musta pi55ed Lee right off too, but the Boss 302 is a great drive, and I like the Mach 1 351C 4V as much as the Boss 351. Although, the 65 GT350 is quicker, faster, more nimble , handles great and is more beatifull and far and away the first born Horse, and it will stay in immortality in my mind! But how good does an 86 GT or Saleen handle and perform with such refinement?

One-one was a race horse.
    Two-two was one too.
    One-one won one race.
    Two-two won one too...

This isn't a factory option is it? Weird. I have nothing against the s550. Drive a Challenger for a bit a that Mustang will feel plenty small and nimble. I think that the s550 is the Mustang for it's time and place. I have seen no option gt's with manual trans sell new off the lot for 35,500 worthless Canadian dollars. That really isn't that bad. Those graphics look weird though. Not so sure about the Mach 1 package either. Ah well.

Tacky, very tacky. But homer302 is right. Fanatic Mustang lovers will buy it, like that goofy, WAY overpriced Bullitt.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

I wouldn't own it, but I like the look. I agree that the new mustang isn't much of a "mustang" in the traditional sense. I prefer lighter, simple, no frills and low cost. I don't understand why the car companies aren't making cheap/fast cars. I think the younger generation would buy them up. Maybe because insurance would affect the primary target buyers?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I have to admit there has always been a soft spot in my heart for the Pinto-Stangs, too. I even owned one for a bit.
    To each their own. The graphics don't work for me, but it's like my car build- I'm doing it the way I am because I want it that way. Some won't like it and that's fine. Doesn't change how or what I like.

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    I have to admit there has always been a soft spot in my heart for the Pinto-Stangs, too. I even owned one for a bit.
    To each their own. The graphics don't work for me, but it's like my car build- I'm doing it the way I am because I want it that way. Some won't like it and that's fine. Doesn't change how or what I like.

Oh man, I miss my 78 Mustang II dearly. If I had the storage back then I'd still have it.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

I don't mind it at all. Horses are way to BIG, and the roof stripe could be better, but I kind of like the retro scheme.

Kenny

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I wasn’t nuts about the S550 either at first but I have grown to love the 18-20. The Gen 3 Coyote is awesome, along with the active exhaust and the A10 transmission. I also love the MT-82 in the 19-20. It is a much improved version as far as shifter feeling and buttery smooth...I am not praising the Chinese transmission, but the 19-up is way better. Rev matching is also killer. A Bullitt is nowhere near the prices you mention There is a black one for sale new at a Ford dealer for 40-41k. A loaded out GT vert is pricey for sure. A 300a Coupe 6 speed is 31-34k depending on dealer discount and rebates. Tremendous bang for the buck. Through a Roush/Ford Performance blower on the car and you have a 700HP/610TQ car for 42-44k with a new car warranty. I really think the S550 platform has something awesome right now for every Mustang enthusiast at every price point right now. From the EcoBoost up to the GT500.

The pace car S550 doesn’t work.
    Last edited by noac; 07-11-2020 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Where is the Fourth Running Pony on the Driver Side!?
    I dont even noticed that till u mentioned it Trey..lol!!

Default Pinstripes or graphics

Read 3M is not going to make Scotchcal stripes anymore.

This 1979 to 2020 pace car rendition tribute can grow on one, flaws and all.
    1979 Pace Car graphic theme will forever be 1979 Indy race date, official only on the car meant for it.
    A one year deal, not a multi year pace car official graphic pattern set.
    Optional advertising with graphics.
    Color wise, 79 orange/red/black color combo on silver is right.
    A color pattern that says Mustang pace car. To those that know.

Back then, the car needed mods to roll 120 for miles.
    The 79 special duty 302 pace engine/C4 trans combo is still desirable to recreate in any 4E.
    Pace laps almost if not full throttle at 120?
    Nowadays new ones, heck enter it into the race.

Horses bigger- Racing draft horses? The car is heftier, high window line, arch roof. Designer's choice.
    Car has a pretty generic look except for front and rear.

Official Pace Car sticker- starts real close to body feature crease. Sort of far back on side.
    If car is parked may not matter.
    If on the road:
    -Tends to suggest 'look again' at the car passing you from a rear 1/4 view perspective to see the whole deal.'
    -If on front fenders, would catch the corner of eye at red light to announce car and heads up for longer look.
    -If on door may look like drivers name, or what it really is- advertising.

The hood 'Mustang' is a bit too large to fit the hood type.
    A argent or bright metal finished wheel is dressier than black.

Track stickers- a local thing
    Pace graphics- a local thing

https://lmr.com/products/SVE-Pace-Car-Gets-A-New-Look

Homer nailed it. Can't improve on that. I wouldn't let that park in front of my house. Yuck.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)