Close

Default Trim color on Black 83 Capri RS

I recently painted my 1983 Capri RS body the original Black color. When my family purchase this car in 1888 it had already been repainted once in a charcoal gray with silver lower. With that color combo, all of the trim was a matte black. Now that I‘ve repainted the body back to the original Black, looking for input on the trim color.

I know my brothers black 85 GT had grey trim but I’ve never seen a Capri that way? Should the trim still be matte Black? I think it could look good but thought I’d see what was original before I spray things.

The 1979-1984 cars all used satin/matte black trim. That included the Mustang and the Capri. In 1985/86 Ford used the dark charcoal grey trim color on the bumpers rub strips, window trim, cowl, etc. Door handles, radio antennae, wiper arms, key locks all were black no matter the year model.

Ultimately the choice is yours. Obviously the grey trim would stand out against the black better, but isn't "correct" for the year model if that matters to you. Using the satin/matte black is "correct" and does look good IMHO, although it may not have the visual impact you are looking for. The SEM bumper black is an option for respraying the trim or you can do as I do and BC/CC using a satin/matte clear for better durability and longevity. Hope that helps!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

What do you put in a clear to make it Matte?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is what I have used in the past and it works well. It is still available currently, but has been discontinued. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hkr-fa01q01

This is what I will be using in the future. https://tamcopaint.com/collections/c...atte-clearcoat

Obviously not a Fox Body, but I painted this Mustang for a guy last summer. All the black on the hood, louvers, rear wing, etc. is BC Black with a Flattened clear. This is more of a semigloss rather than a matte or flat as he wanted a little shine, but contrast with the Burgundy.

Name:  IMG-6164.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  402.7 KB

Name:  IMG-6165.jpg
Size:  402.6 KB

Name:  IMG-6167.jpg
Size:  380.3 KB

Name:  IMG-6168.jpg
Size:  370.3 KB

Name:  IMG-6163.jpg
Size:  265.0 KB
    Last edited by wraithracing; 07-07-2020 at 08:03 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller