Close

Default cold air inner fender air filter size question

I have the lmr cold air kit, but the filter they have with the kit is very small.
    There isn't a lot of extra room in there as well.

Does anyone have any specs on the biggest filter size, style that will fit in there.

Or part numbers on which filter you used.

Thanks

Todd

I believe most CAI kits,made to locate the filter inside the fenderwell,normally use a short round conical or short oval filter about 5-6 inches long.The kits made to locate the filter in the engine bay at the air intake pipe inlet on 86-88 models or at the maf inlet on 89-95 models,normally use a long round conical filter about 9-11 inches.If the CAI plate,that bolts to the fender apron where the stock airbox resided,has a long enough duct on the back of it where the filter clamps on,you can buy a curved 90° elbow to mount to that duct which will orientate the pipe opening towards the front of the car (instead of it being orientated towards the backside of the fender like it is in the CAI kits Ive seen) then you can install a 9-11+ inch filter in place. Theres just not enough room to install a long filter inside the fenderwell when the filter is positioned horizontally & running towards the backside of the fender.The story changes once you position it horizontally,running it towards the front of the car.Theres plenty of room in that direction.If you want a little more room to visually access that area,just remove the passenger front wheel and the plastic splash shield.Youll have a better view & more room to work like shown in the image below.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wbrockstar; 07-07-2020 at 12:14 PM.

that is the route I just took, much better I put our 9" cone filter in. The little one was a restriction for sure.