Close

Default What is the original headliner material and color in 1986 GT

I have owned my 86 GT since it was new and I've kept it as "stock as possible" whenever something has needed to be replaced. If original is still available I always go with that option first.

Anyway, several years ago I decided to replace the original headliner which had torn and was sagging. At the time, I replaced it with a cloth covering from LMR that I just glued to the original backing board. That worked well for a few years but alas, the Texas heat has taken its toll and it is sagging again.

If I remember correctly, the original factory material was NOT cloth. It was more like a vinyl or plastic material.

I'd like to replace the headliner again to make darn sure whatever I use will not have adhesive coming loose or foam separating and sagging again in a few years!!!

I see the TMI vinyl material over ABS board that CJ sells. That seems pretty interesting because it is already adhered to the board, and it is vinyl which I think is closer to the original anyway. And I am thinking vinyl might be better for adhering over a longer time span than cloth (not sure if the vinyl is also foam-backed like the cloth...seems to me the foam backing is the culprit as it seems to separate over time even if the adhesive does hold up).

Anyway, my questions are:
    1) Does anybody know precisely what the original headliner material in a 1986 Mustang GT Hatch (with sunroof) was?
    2) My car has the very common gray GT interior from 86, do you know what color the headliner was described as?
    3) Has anybody used one of these TMI ABS-backed vinyl kits on a car with sunroof? If so, how did it go? Do you recommend it?

Thanks!
    -Eric

FEP Senior Member

Sun roof cars as well as T-Top cars used vinyl for the headliners. SMS sell OEM vinyl. It's like $45 a yard.

I have not installed an ABS headliner board in a sunroof car yet, but the others I have installed I have not been thrilled with. The ABS is extremely heavy compared to the original board and very hard to install by yourself. Heck even with an extra pair of hands its a floppy piece that is difficult to get in position as you secure it. Once installed it works just fine and isn't any better or worse than an original board. I will probably have to go with one for my PC since I don't have the original board and finding a good used one has been difficult.

As for the sunroof headliner material, I believe it's vinyl, but I could be wrong on that for the 86 model. I know the PC had a black vinyl headliner and so did my 82 GT T-top as well as my 82 RS, but I haven't messed with an 86 T-top car in many years. As stated SMS will be the best option for a perfect OEM match, but it will cost a bit more than other options. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks, does the vinyl have foam backing or not?

Also, just thinking about installation and the sunroof... How does vinyl install for the "wrap around" portion where it needs to go up through the sunroof hole and wrap around and then under the sunroof molding/gasket seal? For cloth it was easy because it stretches and gives, but vinyl won't I assume. Seems when you cut vinyl and folding it into the sunroof area it would leave gaps in the corners. How does it work?

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

There is no foam on the OEM vinyl material. I bought some for my project car from SMS.

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    There is no foam on the OEM vinyl material. I bought some for my project car from SMS.

Nice, thank you for confirming dynodon64! I have a sample on the way from SMS now.

So, when you install that does it just go straight down on a the bare board ?

What adhesive did you use (or do you plan to use if you haven't done it yet) ?

-Eric
    Last edited by eric; 07-06-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    Sun roof cars as well as T-Top cars used vinyl for the headliners. SMS sell OEM vinyl. It's like $45 a yard.
    How many yards did you have to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Thanks, does the vinyl have foam backing or not?

Also, just thinking about installation and the sunroof... How does vinyl install for the "wrap around" portion where it needs to go up through the sunroof hole and wrap around and then under the sunroof molding/gasket seal? For cloth it was easy because it stretches and gives, but vinyl won't I assume. Seems when you cut vinyl and folding it into the sunroof area it would leave gaps in the corners. How does it work?

I think there may be a video on LMR's site or YT that shows it. I know there is for t top weatherstrip R&R, might show what you're looking for. I will say my 84 RS Turbo has the vinyl and it was glued to the roof metal like the cloth was. There's still some residue to this day.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

FEP Senior Member

It comes in the width you need and you only need like 1-1/3 yards. I bought 4 feet. It can be bought in 1/3 yards. I paid $59 a yard, so it was $79 for 1.33 yards.

I got the sample from SMS. Yeah, that's definitely the proper material! Exactly the feel and texture I remember from the original. And no foam backing either.

I was surprised at how dark the color tone is though. I had forgotten that the original headliner was that dark because when I replaced it with cloth several years ago I used a light gray (like the stock carpet color tone). But I see now that this sample from SMS matches the color of the sunvisors. So it makes sense. I've come to like that light grey contrast on the ceiling to be honest, but if I am going to replace it again i'd like to go back to "original stock", so looks like it will be going back to the dark look soon.

They are saying it is $79/yd now by the way.

See attached. This is what I have in my car now (lighter gray cloth headliner) and I have the sample from SMS (dark gray vinyl) tucked next to the driver side sunvisor so you can see it. What do you think?

Wondering, did ford perhaps ship some charcoal gray interiors with a lighter gray vinyl headliner in the sunroof cars in 86? I could have sworn mine was a lighter gray, but my mind could just be messing with me since I have gotten accustomed to this light gray cloth headliner for past few years.

-Eric

Well, first I tried the path of least resistance and I was able to access the drooping area by only taking the back trim piece off and shooting a TON (a LOT) of 3M Super 90 under it and keeping pressure against it for a long long time. It looks good and did not bleed through, which I thought for sure it would bleed through, but it didn't!

So we'll see if that holds. I am guessing it will for awhile at least, but the 100+ heat will get it eventually, especially when I start parking it in parking lots during the day again (hopefully soon for sanity's sake!).

If it falls again, time to pull all the trim off, pull the board out, clean it off completely, and get the SMS vinyl fabric(no foam backing) professionally affixed before reinstalling with high heat vinyl adhesive. Not messing around next time!

For now, hoping the easy fix works for a while since it looks surprisingly good.

Eric