I have owned my 86 GT since it was new and I've kept it as "stock as possible" whenever something has needed to be replaced. If original is still available I always go with that option first.

Anyway, several years ago I decided to replace the original headliner which had torn and was sagging. At the time, I replaced it with a cloth covering from LMR that I just glued to the original backing board. That worked well for a few years but alas, the Texas heat has taken its toll and it is sagging again.

If I remember correctly, the original factory material was NOT cloth. It was more like a vinyl or plastic material.

I'd like to replace the headliner again to make darn sure whatever I use will not have adhesive coming loose or foam separating and sagging again in a few years!!!

I see the TMI vinyl material over ABS board that CJ sells. That seems pretty interesting because it is already adhered to the board, and it is vinyl which I think is closer to the original anyway. And I am thinking vinyl might be better for adhering over a longer time span than cloth (not sure if the vinyl is also foam-backed like the cloth...seems to me the foam backing is the culprit as it seems to separate over time even if the adhesive does hold up).

Anyway, my questions are:
1) Does anybody know precisely what the original headliner material in a 1986 Mustang GT Hatch (with sunroof) was?
2) My car has the very common gray GT interior from 86, do you know what color the headliner was described as?
3) Has anybody used one of these TMI ABS-backed vinyl kits on a car with sunroof? If so, how did it go? Do you recommend it?

Thanks!
-Eric