Close

Default Speedometer is acting up.......

So here is the history...... when I bought my Saleen 11 years ago, one of the many things I replaced was the speedo cable because the one that was in it was melted by the exhaust. Even though it was working, I changed it with a used one from a Pinto. The Pinto one was an inch or two shorter than the one that came out of the car but it still fit and tucked up a little better around the exhaust. Up until a few months ago, I had no problems with the speedo. It started acting up when I would get off the freeway, on my way to work. It works just fine till I get to that light and stop. When I take off again and get up to 45-60 MPH the speedo starts clicking and the speed does not get above 25-30 MPH. I still have another 4-5 miles to go before I get to work. I get to work, park the car and let it sit till I go home. On the commute home, there are no issues. Thursday I took the Saleen to work, first time in about 3 weeks, and right off the bat the speedo was acting up. It works, then clicks and doesn't work, then it works again. It did that on the way home as well so that evening I took the speedo cable out to clean it. I pulled the cable, out from the housing, cleaned it. I cleaned the inside of the housing with brake clean. I lubed it with ATF but it would not slide in all the way. There was a spot that would hang. I had a couple more spare Pinto speedo cables so I got another one and cleaned it all and lubed it and that cable slid right in to the housing. I put my speedo gear on the end of it and back in the car it went. I went for a 5 mile test drive and no issues. This morning I take it to work and all the way to the freeway, the speedo is acting up. Then when I get on the freeway it was fine the rest of the way in.

Even thought the cable is used, I am pretty sure it is fine. It is cleaned and very well lubed. The speedo gear is fine as well. I put a new one in it when I put the 3.55's in it a few years back. Teeth looked good when I had it out with no wear that I noticed.

Any ideas what to look for next? It only leaves the speedo itself or the transmission drive gear, in my opinion. If it is the drive gear, would the speedo be clicking like it does up at the dash? Any help would be appreciated.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Almost sounds like the speedo guts have the issue. I would not think the transmission drive gear.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

FEP Senior Member

i remember disconnecting the cable at the transmission and putting an electric drill on the cable to prove which direction is the trouble. also depending on what year trans, the teeth in the trans are are really thin and i have heard of them breaking.

I would say the problem is n the speedo itself by the sounds of it. Sounds like maybe a tooth or two are wearing or chipped in the speedometer head.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

I am thinking so as well unfortunately Yesterday on the way home it worked properly. It didn't skip a beat that I noticed. I drove it again today and almost the whole way in it hardly went up above 30mph. I think I am going to pull the cluster, maybe tonight, and take a look at the speedometer. Thanks guys
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179