Close

Default Auto Transmission in GT

What auto transmission was used in the 85/86 GT Mustangs? I am in the process of working out an engine swap, ridding myself of the 3.8 and installing a 5.0 in its place. I am wanting to utilize my current C5 trans that is backing the 3.8 but am concerned about bolt pattern matching up to the 5.0 and its strength with the increase in power that a V8 will bring.

AOD. Believe it went to AODE in '87. I've never owned an automatic fox but if memory serves I don't think that trans went behind a V8? Isn't the c5 a non OD transmission? Basically a locking 3rd gear to improve mileage? I think they stopped making c5's in about '86.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 06-25-2020 at 09:56 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

FEP Senior Member

3.8 has the SBF bellhousing pattern so it will bolt up to the 5.0. I do not know about the flexplate differences. The GT Mustangs got the AOD. The AODE didn't come into play until '94 on the Mustang.

You should be able to use the C5 to get it up and running, but I would probably save some money in the mean time for a replacement of something nicer. I do see used Mustang GT AOD's for sale fairly regularly for not a ton of money.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

C5 was behind the 4.2L V8 in 1982 Capri/Mustang
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

The AOD was used in the Mustang till 1993. The 94/95 Mustang got the AODE. Better transmission is many ways, but more difficult and expensive to swap for your project. The AOD is a very good and when built properly will hold up to a decent amount of power. The TV cable adjustment is something you definitely want to get set right the first time. Also the AOD converter seats 3 (THREE) times on the input shaft. That's 3 times . . . Don't ask me how I remember that. Bottom line if you don't have to pull the converter forward to bolt up to the flexplate you didn't get the converter seated properly and will destroy the front pump in no time. AGAIN DON"T ask how I know this! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I couldn't remember when the trans went 'E'. Only off by about 7 years. Lol!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

It is my understanding that the c5 is a c4 with the addition of a lockup torque converter.

Cale

Isnt the C5 minus a clutch or two also? Seems they do not hold as much power as the C4 if I remember right.