Close

Default 2 spoke to 3 spoke steering wheel ?

Hi
    Do the 2 spoke and 3 spoke steering wheel share the same horn assembly ?

Pretty sure the answer is no, but more information as to which steering wheels and even year models you are referring to would be helpful.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Hi

I want to install a 1986 3 spoke that came from a 1986 LX for the 2 spoke on my 1986 GT

Thanks

I think you mean a 3 spoke from the 86 GT to replace the 2 spoke on an 86 LX. This may not be the answer you're looking for, but I used an 86 GT wheel to replace the 2 spoke wheel on my 84 Cougar for awhile before I replaced that with a Grant. I also used a wheel from an 88LX for a day to see what it felt like , but didn't like it. I see no reason why what you want to do shouldn't work. They're all Fox body.
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.

It sounds like you have a 2 spoke cruise control steering wheel on your GT and you want to install the 3 spoke NON GT NON cruise control wheel. As for horn assembly, the contact ring in the steering wheels will both work with your steering column and as long as everything is in good shape your horn "button" should work with the 3 spoke steering wheel. Obviously you will not have cruise control buttons to operate the cruise control any more, so keep that in mind if that is an issue. Hopefully that answers your question. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

If you are asking if the horn will work the answer is yes. The car below is mine. Horn worked with all three wheels. The bottom version is far and away the best overall. The cruise works, it's thick and just the right size and very sporty looking IMO.

This is the OEM wheel. Hated this wheel when these cars were new in the showroom. The rim is really tiny and hard (that's why there is a cover on it obviously) and the whole thing flexes during cornering because of all the open space. It's awful.

A big improvement on the OEM wheel but you lost the cruise control and the diamter is a little big

The current wheel. I like it because it keeps the cruise control and it looks nice and it's nice and thick so it

feels nice.

Thanks for the info guys !

My 3 spoke looks like homer302 's middle pic . I bought it for a good price and it is in nice shape and thicker than mine.

I don't have cruise on the car anymore . I bought the wheel off a friend . I thought it may have been original to his LX but I never asked him and he has rebuilt his car about 7 times ... over the last 20 years .