Close

FEP Member

Default Just a Little Rant

My life would be much easier if Ford had kept the battery location the same in 86 between the V8 and V6 cars.

That’s all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford doing something that doesn't cause us irritation or pain!

That will never happen!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by 86lx View Post
    My life would be much easier if Ford had kept the battery location the same in 86 between the V8 and V6 cars.

That’s all.

That's because the 3.8 liter Essex V6 was a 100% Economy Carb 4.2 liter V8 and 3.3 liter in line six replacement.

Carb, passenger side battery.

Port EFi, drivers side battery.

Using the 2.3-litre turbo from the 1983 Mustang GT Turbo as a starting point , the Port EFi engines started the progressive switch in 1983.

So copy those changes. Hers the 84 SVO.

From https://www.themotoringenthusiastjou...6_50_years.htm

Throttle Body Injection CFi was a carb engine with just two port EFI injectors, so its still Passenger side battery.

By page 10, Rick decided to trunk mount his battery, but here is how to make the swap.

Quote Originally Posted by plstktnkr2 View Post
    OK kids heres how to move a battery from one side to the other (minus the associated wires , we will get to that. first up WHAT'S IN THE WAY?
    As some of you early Fox owners know ( the ones with the battery on the right side of the car) This swap requires the battery to be moved to the left side of the car. It's not as bad as it would seem. the later model Battery tray is designed for a larger battery on the driver's side of the car. this is EASY!
    This is what is there, yours are probably not red but you get the idea:

here is what is there to mount the new tray after the wire harness has been moved:

the bottom bolt gets a blind nut as shown here:

And two more here: (NOTE: they are not included in the CJ Pony kit):

Feed wires behind post that goes into channel (yet out of channel) and place battery tray:

and then after all three bolts are in, install battery :

and "Voila" you have moved your battery!
    Tune in next time for Battery cable shortening 101

Happy swapping
    Rick

Good fortune dude

Not the earthing strap,

OK Guys and Gals FINALLY an update. I have been sidelined by surgery AGAIN (jan,27) and I have not been able to walk well since November. BUT I am now getting back into things. My update is that I have used a reworked ground cable to replace the factory setup, and it is an EASY fix ! I used a factory ground cable ,cut the battery terminal off and installed an Eyelet of proper gauge, and it will go from ground post (under my fender shield to the core support (factory connection) and the motor mount (factory connection) so This is the cable I fitted, and I will have installed pics as soon as it is installed. It's great to be back outdoors working on my "Baby"

a critical replacement issue to make the car work.

And the fusile links.

OK . For those following along, the wire marking has begun. The first connector to be addressed is connector C 204 , which is the main connector for the engine functions , such as A/C WOT cut out, A/C throttle solenoid (to raise engine RPM), water temp, oil pressure, A/C fan controller, etc.. the only 2 wires you will need to mate with the body, are the " 31 red with white stripe" oil pressure switch, and the "white with red stripe" (water temp sender ). My car has no A/C system to deal with due to lack of room in the heater hose /evaporator area.

The fusible links are being replaced with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by 86lx View Post

That’s all.

That's how I felt about it 20 years ago when I stuck an over sized beater battery in my 86 lx 3.8 car so i could get to work in a pinch. I bet you can guess how that ended.

FEP Power Member

You think that's bad? Try replacing the battery in a PT Cruiser with the turbo engine

My mom has one. She took it to a shop recently, in addition to what she wanted done they said she needed a new battery and wanted to charge $200 to do it. I suggested I do it and she save some money. After trying, and failing, to get it out I think the $200 was a bargain.

Found a video how-to, looks like I need to pick up another tool and maybe replace the terminal because what's on there is a PITA.

Ha! A coworker’s wife drives a Dodge Journey and the battery crapped out in the driveway. He told her he would handle it. After looking for the battery for about an hour he resorted to pulling out and reading the owner’s manual. Step one remove tire and wheel! They mount them in a compartment inside the fender accessible only once the tire is removed. He went back in the house and told her she needed to call AAA to have it replaced! LMAO!

I remember the battery for my 71 VW Beetle was under the rear seat.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

My work ride is a Chevy HHR Panel Delivery. Battery is under the rear floor with the spare.
    Rear door latch is electric, when the battery failed had to put the charger on it to open it.
    The manual says there is a manual release on the inside, never found it behind the pop out cover.
    I guess it's like back in 1979 looking for the fuse box in my then in laws 78 Zephyr.
    Manual pointed under dash. took a bit of searchin to realize I had to remove the panel under the steering column.
    When I bought the 81 T roof the manual showed a dashed box to show it was behind the cover.
    I guess Ford got an earful on that one.
    I"ve seen too many manuals written by people who overlook info
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

The Speed Density can keep the battery on the stock side if you want to skip that.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Not true at all. My mate did an 86 SEFi swap in his 1979. Battery stays in stock position.

The MAF sensor cars are very limited in where the MAF and air box can go, but the whole manifold in the 1992 Mustang 225 hp and the later 215 and 235 hp Explorer 5.0 engines are able to be turned 180 degrees.

So no battery swap is required. Its just the ISC wiring that needs Corrective action, 99% most of the 60 wire pinouts are perfect.

The SEFi is easier, much easier, than the "carb" lobotomy's.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI View Post
    That's how I felt about it 20 years ago when I stuck an over sized beater battery in my 86 lx 3.8 car so i could get to work in a pinch. I bet you can guess how that ended.

This probably why the only tall deck engine added to the Fox vehicles was the 9.206" deck 3.8 and the 250 six, and the 9.5" 351 were eliminated except for the left hand side battery cars.