Close

Default Plastic clutch quadrant

Correct me if I am wrong:

Under the dash of the '81 Granada there is the same adjustable clutch quadrant/pawl as the later foxes? I know the clutch is supposed to be a direct pull I rhought.

I can buy an aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster just like the later foxes, right? It looks the same under the dash.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 06-25-2020 at 01:46 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Is there an aluminum quadrant kit that fits an '81? I see kits for 79-93 but then in details for vehicle fitment I get all no's.

Most say all 79-93, then in a different sentence indicate 82-93. Which is it??

If I am able to replace the fragile plastic quadrant with an aluminum one, adj cable, firewall adj, I'd like to.

Last edited by richpet; 06-23-2020 at 03:27 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

So, when I look on line, I see aluminum quadrant/adj cable/firewall adj kits for 82 up, some are advertised as 79-93, but it's inconsistent. I may just have to call one of them (BBK, Steeda, LMR, etc) and see what they say. Of course that can be tough since I work Mon-Fri. Does anyone here with an '81 (well, pre-'82 anyway) use one of these kits? I'd really like to, but online searching has given conflicting information. Anyone?

Combo is a 5.0/T5/8.8

Which clutch pedal and bracket do you have? Year of car doesn't matter as much as that. I have all '82-93 stuff in mine. I'm assuming your car wasn't manual from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Yup, it was manual from the factory as a 4 cyl 4 spd 'L' model.

I could post a pic of the quadrant tomorrow if that helps.

Crazy. I guess I probably knew that at one point.

I don't know anything about that earlier setup. But, take a look at the pic in this thread. Looks like it doesn't even use a quadrant.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...h-Pedal-Spring
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Nope, I definitely have a pawl/quadrant set up. I thought mine was a 'direct pull' set up (which I was not sure what that was, but the pic you referred me to makes sense and I don't have that set up) but looking at it I think it's the same as the later years. It is entirely possible my car was built in late 1981 and has the newer style. I will post a pic of it tonight when I get home. I think I have a picture of my data plate with me though...

Which if so is great because I can pick up a quadrant/cable/firewall adjuster kit and later year fork...

Wow! Build date is January 1981.

Last edited by richpet; 06-25-2020 at 12:41 PM.

When the drivetrain was swapped, the clutch pedal bracket could have been too.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I am the one that swapped the drivetrain and I definitely did not do that. It all looked original to me. It doesn't look like anyone has done anything under the dash as far as swapping.

Appreciate the dialogue!

On my 79 Cobra, there is no quadrant, nor ever was one, nor will there be. Nor any firewall adjuster.
    Simpler, the better. I guess the later cars needed more leverage for tough clutches or something.
    What is cool about it is when the trans was changed from RAD-4 to T-5, everything stayed the same.
    Bell housing and all internal components between engine and trans were never touched, works normal after swap.
    Stock or warmed over is much more serviceable and parts more interchangeable between brands.

The early pre 82 cars quadrant retrofit kits exist for some reason.
    Reading all the problems, seems like a downgrade not an upgrade for most stock clutch cars.
    Really takes a lot of abuse to fry a stock hd clutch and pp, especially in a original muscle car.
    In a non raced car, a good hd stock setup not requiring or perceived requiring extra leverage seems better.
    Prob why hyd clutches were later introduced. And popular choice for old cars to eliminate those frame pivot things.
    Hydraulic slave clutch style is self adjusting. Ok when it works, a bitch to trouble shoot as any other.

A non quadrant clutch pedal adjustment is done under car at the fork with a couple wrenches.
    Been so long, cannot remember how many turns or 1/2 turns it takes to readjust the pedal height.
    Looks like much less work, hassle to get under the car than get a retrofit Q-kit to work. And no extra costs.
    Manual/auto adjust is a more complicated mechanism to do a simple manual job automatically.
    If not willing to DIM, i simply pay a mechanic a few dollars to the adjustment for me.
    My shops figured out the proper clutch shim adjustments on my truck and car. Not a trial and error job for sure.
    Last edited by gr79; 06-25-2020 at 01:41 PM.

All true.
    I don't have an issue doing my own adjusting. Not hard usually and I like to tinker. When I did it on my '83 hatch it was easy and worked perfectly.
    I like the idea of aftermarket for this as that plastic does get brittle and flexes.
    I think one of the main draws to hydraulic is not to get rid of bad pivots, but to eliminate adjustments. It's a convenience thing with the benefit of being able to exert more force with less leg effort.
    Like solid valve lifters versus hydraulic. Not hard to do, but it takes effort.

Last edited by richpet; 06-25-2020 at 02:17 PM.

2x
    Thought the same thing. Why plastic? Easier on the cable? Prob cost.
    I sure don't miss contact points in dist, especially dual points. Matchbook cover time.
    The problem with hyd is when i had the slave replaced. Shop could not bleed it correctly. Dealer did.
    Hyd is the way out when installing manual trans in say a custom T-bucket that has no compatible mech linkage.
    Or go the automatic trans route.
    Have several in family who have the same classic 4 speed muscle cars for many years
    The clutch linkage assy, Z-bar, cross shaft, or whatever, can bend or bind a little over the years.
    One took years to get it to shift right after going the aftermarket clutch route.
    But are stronger overall than a cable to handle those power shifts and old design hd everything. Trucks too.

Brother did not mind adjusting his 396/375 solids. V8 performance engine solids always sound great if not drowned out by mufflers.
    Did that many times in my VW's too. Valve covers had wire bales like a master cylinder.
    Still have the stubby Craftsman screwdriver that worked perfectly in the rocker arm adj screw slot.
    A part of car ownership maintenance. Way better when the car is fun to drive, not a beater work car that needs constant repair.

Here it is. I moved back to show pedals a bit but you can still see the quadrant up there. Thinking I can go with a kit.

I'll be damned. Well, I guess it does kind of sound familiar that some of the '82 changes started in mid-'81.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I was surprised, especially since it has a January build date. Might have been because of where it was assembled?

Also, I have never had one of the older versions. Since I saw the quadrant/pawl assembly I thought maybe the style of it just changed, but a version was still used in the older style.

The pic you posted cleared that up and prompted me to spend $100 on a cable/quadrant/adj kit. I think thanks for that? Lol.

Last edited by richpet; 06-27-2020 at 11:56 AM.

All installed. All I had to do was drill the 1 1/4" hole in the firewall out to 1 3/8" to accept the firewall adjuster.