Close

Thread: 82 granada sn95

Default 82 granada sn95

Hey guys new member here. So I'm starting a project on my 1982 Granada 4door I just bought a complete running and driving 1995 mustang GT 5.0 5speed. the plan is to use the entire drivetrain out of the mustang in the Granada by swapping the entire k member with motor and trans still attached and using the mustang complete suspension. What are the issues that I will run into on this swap? Also the mustang has adjustable coilovers front and rear along with CC spacers that I plan on using. Any help and advice would be great.

It'll all bolt in, but you'll have a little work to do.

The suspension stuff will pretty much drop in, but you'll need to be aware of the track width differences. You may need different offset wheels to get it all under the car. The rear axle is 1-1/2" wider, overall, from brake flange to brake flange, and the front track is wider as well, due to K-member, control arm differences, as well as a little bit from the spindles. You could just use your existing K-member (as long as the car isn't an I6 to begin with) and narrow things down a bit, and still use all of the new Mustang parts.

The rear suspension on the F/Z and the Granadas is the same as the Mustang stuff, so you shouldn't have any issues there.

You'll need a longer driveshaft. You'll be about 4-5" short, using the Mustang stuff.

I think the engine management wiring will be the biggest hassle, and even that won't be too terrible, as long as you're comfortable with wiring, etc.

More little details to be sure, but having a full donor is going to make things much easier.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Yeah, I'd use your Granada front control arms too. SN95 to Fox control arms, you will need to run SN95 ball joints or spacers with Fox ones. You may find an issue with the bolt pattern on the upper strut mount. I believe they are different. Just get caster/camber plates for the early Fox and you will be fine.

Fuel lines will be too short too. And you will need to adapt your fuel tank/pump for EFI. Easiest way to do that is to swap in the Mustang tank. Since your Granada is an '82 (deep well trunk), that might not be much of an issue. Earlier cars had the huge spare tire well to deal with.

Also, pics please!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

You need to post a pic of this Granada.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Ah, yes. I forgot about the strut mounts being different between the Fox and SN-95 cars.

The Granada front control arms are probably the best route. Easy enough to swap the ball joints if you have the proper tools. If not, 5/16" of spacer under the castle nut will allow you to use the SN-95 spindles on the Fox ball joints and keep the cotter-pin engagement correct. I have spacers on my SN-95 swap on my Fox LCAs/balljoints on the TBird. If/when I need to replace ball joints, I'll just use SN-95.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Agree...we need pics! Sounds like a fun build!

As soon as I can figure out how to post pictures I will lol

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Click the little icon that looks like a tree in a picture frame - if you hover your mouse over it, it says "insert image".
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

How do I do it from my phone? I see the icon but when I select a picture it doesn't let me do anything

I use Tapatalk on my phone and it works well for attaching pictures.

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

She's a beaut.

Looks great!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Nice! Mine's the same color. Good thing the body is straight - not a lot of these in the junk yards.

So what makes the inline 6 k-member different from the rest? that's the one that I have in the Granada... And also if I swap the fuel tank from the 1995 are the ohms the same reading for the fuel sending unit so I can run the older style factory gage cluster? I have an early 80''s mustang GT cluster that I want to use so I want the gage to work.
    Last edited by sethro1980; 06-24-2020 at 11:54 PM.

And another question, will the clutch/brake pedal assembly from the mustang work in the Granada?

Quote Originally Posted by sethro1980 View Post
    So what makes the inline 6 k-member different from the rest? that's the one that I have in the Granada... And also if I swap the fuel tank from the 1995 are the ohms the same reading for the fuel sending unit so I can run the older style factory gage cluster? I have an early 80''s mustang GT cluster that I want to use so I want the gage to work.

And another question, will the clutch/brake pedal assembly from the mustang work in the Granada?

Quote Originally Posted by thmpsn70 View Post
    thank you Exctsy, what i was looking for was in what you Posted,,, here it is for ease of me finding it and others looking for the same thing http://fast-fairmonts.weebly.com/engine-swap-info.html i really appreciate it,, thanks again,, Timmy
    The Fuel tanks, its the trunk sheetmetal changes, so your options are putting the SN95 Fox4 Stang tank in, and then reworking the sensor to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by paul78zephyr View Post
    I put those specs up. The resistance vs tank level is essentially reversed for 79-86 vs 87+. The sender AND gauge must be from 79-86 or 87+. You cannot mix them. The anti-slosh module is basically a chip that 'averages' the instantaneous resistance output from the sender so that the gauge readings dont fluctuate. Averaging algorithms are very common is instrumentation.

Paul

And the Clutch/Brake pedal can swap over....issues are the park brake and making sure you have the D9 to E6ZR clutch fork with the right lever arm. Ford changed parts as the years went on.

1978 D8's and 1986 onwards E6ZZ Dog Bone and various other non 82-88 year clutch quadrants hangers make life a little chaotic.