Close

FEP Member

Default A couple 86 5.0 questions

We are wrapping up the engine swap (from 3.8 to 5.0) in our 86 and there are a couple of things we need guidance on.

Donor car is a 86 cougar

1. We removed the thermactor pump and associated plumbing. Can we simply unplug and remove the TAB/TAD solenoids and plug the vacuum connection, or do they need to be left in place?

2. The Wiring for the gages appear to be part of the engine (EEC) harness for the cougar. I’m pretty sure they are part of the body harness on the Mustang. Does anyone have any information on that?

We are going to do our best to get this running this week. Wiring is the main obstacle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Yes, it's just going to set a couple codes but no other effect. 2. Yes, the gauges, etc are part of the body harness on the Mustang. You can run the tach off the neg side of the coil, the oil pressure and water temp are in the body harness to be plugged in, fuel and speedo are obvious. I don't think they are part of the EEC harness on the cougar, they are just run with it, like 87-93 cars are. You can use the stuff in the 86 Mustang.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedblind View Post
    1. Yes, it's just going to set a couple codes but no other effect. 2. Yes, the gauges, etc are part of the body harness on the Mustang. You can run the tach off the neg side of the coil, the oil pressure and water temp are in the body harness to be plugged in, fuel and speedo are obvious. I don't think they are part of the EEC harness on the cougar, they are just run with it, like 87-93 cars are. You can use the stuff in the 86 Mustang.
    Thanks!

Im not sure if Cougars are identical or not,but for a possible reference,87-90 Foxbodys have two cannon plugs at the brake booster area while 91-93 Foxbodys only have one.The cannon plug is where the gauge wiring transitions from the engine bay (main eec/engine) harness to the cabin (dash) harness of the car.The diagram below is for a Foxbody,so it may/may not help.The Cougar may/may not be identical in harness plug and/or wire color, but the diagram details how the pinouts are layed out.Connector # 31 is for the cannon plug at the booster area,which you're interested in.Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wbrockstar; 07-10-2020 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added the connector # for verification

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by wbrockstar View Post
    87-90 Foxbodys have two cannon plugs at the brake booster area while 91-93 Foxbodys only have one.The cannon plug is where the gauge wiring transitions from the engine bay (main eec/engine harness) to the interior (dash harness) of the car.The diagram below is for the Foxbody.The Cougar may/may not be identical in harness plug and/or wire color, but it details how the pinouts are layed out. Connector # 31 is for the cannon plug at the booster area.
    This should be very helpful. Thank you.