Close

Thread: AC items

Default AC items

Hello all:

What's the consensus on AC flushing? Specifically the condenser and the evaporator. I will be resealing the compressor and if that is a problem then it will be replaced. Won't know until I open it up. If I can save and reuse my original condenser that would be great but if they are a pain to flush then a new unit might be in the works. And the evaporator- as it is up under the dash and replacement would take me a week, I'd also like to flush it if possible. And the lines will be replaced as well. And the accumulator. Thoughts most welcome.

Cheers.
    M

Interesting. I've never heard of "flushing" them. i always thought you should replace the dryer of course and then just pull a vacuum for 20 minutes or so to get the moisture out and verify no leaks and that was it. My '84 GT still has both original compressor and evaporator and it's Ice cold R12. I did replace the oil as well. Never understood why anyone changes them over to luke warm R134. I have replaced the dryer of course.

I have done it a few times. You only need to flush if your are changing from R15 to R134A or if you had a contamination issue from a grenaded pump (at that point, replacing everything is advised). I use a natural based flush called Superflush, I believe it is citrus based by the smell. A simple flush gun from Amazon/Ebay will work great (reservior, hose, air gun)

FEP Senior Member

I had to flush an evaporator core on a Freestyle where the pump locked up. I replaced everything else. The evaporator was a royal pain to replace so I went that direction. I flushed it in both directions and then blew compressed air through it to make sure all of the flush was out. I used Johnsen's A/C flush with a rented AutoZone kit. I used a lot more that I thought I would, but I was also paranoid of contaminants in the evaporator. The price of good A/C flush has gone up quite a bit in the last few years. Given the relative low cost and availability of most parts I usually just replace instead of flush unless it is a pain to change out.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Are the a/c accumulators for factory ac still produced? What about other parts? Hoses? I know you can still get compressors, clutches, evaporators, and condensers.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I just ordered an accumulator... there are curiously more options from Ford then I would expect. Depending upon year and original engine/ compressor. They are out there but be forewarned I found a lot of the interchangeable parts via the standard parts store to be incorrect. Hours later with lots of pictures I was able to find most of what I needed. There is still one hose Between the compressor and the condenser that I can not find for the 2.3 turbo setup.

Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    I just ordered an accumulator... there are curiously more options from Ford then I would expect. Depending upon year and original engine/ compressor. They are out there but be forewarned I found a lot of the interchangeable parts via the standard parts store to be incorrect. Hours later with lots of pictures I was able to find most of what I needed. There is still one hose Between the compressor and the condenser that I can not find for the 2.3 turbo setup.

I just got my Accumulator ... as luck would have it - I got the wrong one. Now we'll see how ebay returns work (or don't work). I got Four Seasons Part number 55634 which I think is right for a v8 car because the hose turns toward the drivers side of the car as soon as it comes out of the accumulator. I think I need Four Seasons A/C Accumulator 55631. It says its for a deal installed air on a 2.3 but I think it looks more correct. Parts smarts....