Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks for all the input. Totally agree on the looks !!

Took the plunge and ordered some H4 glass housings on amazon with some beamtech fanless LED's that mimic the H4 beam pattern as suggested. I am going to use the existing factory wiring modified for H4 pinout first before worrying about a relay upgrade etc.

We will see and if I really don't like them will probably just try an improved H4 bulb with relays.

Either way I am thinking it will be a vast improvement.

Jalopnik just did an article on these today...Google Daniel Stern Lighting and go to his detailed explanation on why LED headlight conversions are compromised by bulb location, reflector shape etc. and why the human eye isnt the best judge of optimal headlight performance. Halogens for me til the technology gets better for refits
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

I have Amazon housings and Beamtech H4 (all 4 headlights). Wife took a video last night on the way home from a car meet. You can sorta get an idea of how they look at night. The difference is night and day. I love them. I'll also point out that I haven't had anyone flash me, although I'm pretty careful about turning the brights off for passing cars.
    https://youtu.be/7OfLXXSRJLQ
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I have Amazon housings and Beamtech H4 (all 4 headlights). Wife took a video last night on the way home from a car meet. You can sorta get an idea of how they look at night. The difference is night and day. I love them. I'll also point out that I haven't had anyone flash me, although I'm pretty careful about turning the brights off for passing cars.
    Thanks for the update. Yeah looks a lot brighter. I'm still waiting for the beamtechs to arrive but the glass housings look good and like stock.

So did you do a relay upgrade or just keep the stock wiring ? Assume you just wired up the hi beam circuit on the other H4 bulb etc.

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    Thanks for the update. Yeah looks a lot brighter. I'm still waiting for the beamtechs to arrive but the glass housings look good and like stock.

So did you do a relay upgrade or just keep the stock wiring ? Assume you just wired up the hi beam circuit on the other H4 bulb etc.
    Stock wiring. No relay upgrade. As for the high beam connections, the H4 will plug right into the 2-prong harness connector and connects using the high beam led. The low beam blade is inserted inside the plug, but not connected to anything. There's just an empty opening in the connector.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Quote Originally Posted by Drivunn View Post
    Jalopnik just did an article on these today...Google Daniel Stern Lighting and go to his detailed explanation on why LED headlight conversions are compromised by bulb location, reflector shape etc. and why the human eye isnt the best judge of optimal headlight performance. Halogens for me til the technology gets better for refits
    I have been on Daniel Stern's sight and its a great source of information and knowledge. I am sure he knows more about lighting than I ever care to. With that said, I have done several conversions including HID, Replaceable halogen bulbs, and LED replaceable bulbs. All have been an improvement over the standard sealed beam in real world conditions. I live in a more rural area with limited street lights, etc. and the HID conversion on my PC made a HUGE difference in night driving. Didn't even need the fog lights any more. I carefully aimed the headlights and was never flashed by another driver. Wouldn't swap back to the sealed beams for anything. Several of my Foxes have had better lighting with no on coming driver issues than many of the later model vehicles with OEM LED lighting, so IMHO even the so called experts don't always get it right.

If you don't want to make the change, that is your call and I can respect that. Personally I will be changing every Fox I have to either replaceable Halogen H4 or LED H4 retro kits. The lighting is that much better in my experience and the draw on the electrical system is much less with the LEDs. I will note that I do install the relay system in all my Foxes for any and all headlight setups as it is better and safer IMHO. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Looks nice and bright!

I noticed the last name McComas.

I have a co-worker (who works out in LA) with that last name. No idea how common it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Looks nice and bright!

I noticed the last name McComas.

I have a co-worker (who works out in LA) with that last name. No idea how common it is.
    Yeah I don't see the name much outside of this area, so I'm not sure either. We actually live just off of McComas Rd. To be honest, I don't know much of the McComas's around here, other than a few I'm closely related to.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Well my fanless Beamtechs arrived tonight so I swapped them in for the H4656 low beams (only ordered two to try out) in the amazon housings. Just used the factory wiring and reconfigured the factory plug no relays...simple really. It all fit great with no mods !!

Noticed an improvement right away. Went for a drive on a dark road and what a difference to say the least

Signs are nice and bright and can see them farther away for sure. Nobody flashed me either but only came across a couple cars so we will see. I checked the current and they are less than 2A each (bright or dim didn't seem to matter). My headlight warning lamp came on as expected so I know it works haha !!

I'm thinking this may be the way to go. Probably going to get some more H4 beamtechs and just use the high beam circuit like Broncojunkie did. Its a bit of a weird mixture of light on bright now. You can see the white and yellow light.

Cheers

Been looking to do this awhile back, but never followed through. Can you post links to exactly what you used. Thanks.
    1985 GT owned since new

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    Been looking to do this awhile back, but never followed through. Can you post links to exactly what you used. Thanks.
    Housings:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016RVNABG..._M6ZfFbBDHEKAM

And any H4 LED headlights should work, but the Beamtech is what I have:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHD78DQ..._Y9ZfFbA6MNAED
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Name:  20200721_152016.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  498.9 KB

I should mention that I ordered these headlight housings a few months ago and I'm not seeing them available now. The link I posted above are cheaper. Rear of housing is plastic (which I'm fine with) but the inside reflector and glass lens appears to be different. The price is much lower, but I'm not sure if they will work as well. Who knows. The pic above is the nicer glass housing and Beamtech led. I'll try to take a pic of the newer, cheaper housing and lens.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 07-21-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Ok. Here is a comparison. The lens I first purchased (and installed in my pace car...all-glass housing) :Name:  20200721_152922.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  800.9 KB

And the cheaper version that I'm seeing available now. Rear of housing is plastic and glass lens is sealed to the front :
    Name:  20200721_152955.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  489.5 KB

After a closer look, the reflector inside appears to be the same. The lens is where they differ. The newer style is more plain/clear. Not sure how they will compare. Might be better, might be worse. Maybe they are more suitable for led?

I didn't take a pic of the plastic housing, but it basically looks like 99% of oem housings these days. I'm still liking the fact that the lens is glass and shouldn't fade like the plastic lenses on the aero cars.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Thanks, those housings look closer to stock.
    1985 GT owned since new

Those look much better than the 2nd set I purchased. Lens looks closer to stock.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

I have bought those light housings from this vendor for my 82 GT. https://www.ebay.com/itm/165mm-H4656...T/230154656437 I believe he offers both options in regards to the lens and you can upgrade the bulb if you want.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yeah you have to look close to notice a difference from a sealed beam. Seem to be a well built unit too.

I like the looks of them and the price is reasonable too. Im probably going to order a pair for spare as well.

If your buying this stuff from Canada get them on amazon.com because they were double for some reason on amazon.ca...even with the extra shipping and exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    So I'm looking at these and want to be sure that they fit. The dimensions provided are a bit larger than when I measure the OEM style sealed halogens. Did you get these to fit without any modification? The OEM style 4656 measures at 4.25 x 6.50, versus 4.25 x 6.75 as listed.

Thanks.
    1985 GT owned since new

The trim ring fit perfect on my 80 just like the sealed beams. The wires from the beamtech tucked in behind no issues.

No mod necessary except the wiring plug needs reconfigured for the H4 bulb.

So, I ended up giving this a try. I ordered two sets each of the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHD78DQ..._Y9ZfFbA6MNAED

This gives you 4 lamps and 4 lenses for a complete conversion. Short answer, it worked beautifully and was fairly easy.

For anyone considering it, here is what everything looks like:

This is a comparison of the new H4 lens (on the left) and H4656 sealed halogen lamp (on the right).

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  261.8 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  186.4 KB

New lens fit in retaining ring (the product dimensions for the lens are incorrect).

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  240.7 KB

Components for a single headlight.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  318.4 KB

Lamp needs to be separated from its mounting flange (1/4 turn CCW) to use the rubber boot.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  314.1 KB

[CONTINUED]
    1985 GT owned since new

Flange installed.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  162.7 KB

Boot installed, note orientation of what I presume to be a drainage port. That should be down.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  246.1 KB

When re-installing the lamp, the forward LED chipset should be on top.

Assembly complete.

Name:  9.jpg
Size:  336.7 KB

As detailed in this video https://youtu.be/7HlxezzKzfw?t=681, the high beam high and low terminals are reversed.
    Here is a diagram.

Name:  10.jpg
Size:  121.6 KB

The labels indicate stock wire locations when looking at the front of the connector that receives the plug from the lamp. Arrow indicates swapping high and low. I labeled the wires prior to removal with tape just in case I lost track. Removing the terminals is a bit tricky on the first try. There is a small plastic tab that needs to be pressed toward the center of the plug using a small screwdriver.

For the low beams, the stock connector is only two terminals and won't accept the three prong lamp plug. Before making any modifications, I removed the terminals from the connector and hooked them individually to each prong. Worked without issue. You could leave them this way, but I decided to make a minor modification to the connector.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  185.8 KB

I currently have the nose off the Mustang, so I don't have any fully installed pics at this time. However, I don't anticipate any clearance issues and testing showed very bright white results.
    1985 GT owned since new

Yes those beamtechs look a little different than the ones I got. Are yours the fanless type ?

Yes, fanless.
    1985 GT owned since new

did you have to cut the headlight buckets to get the back of the headlight to mount where the wires are? I seen on another site you had to do some cutting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast