Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Opinions on LED headlight conversions ?

I kind of forgot how poor the stock sealed beam lighting is on the old four eyes.

This topic has probably been covered many times before in the past. I would like to look at doing a conversion on my 80 and would appreciate some recent feedback on what everyone else has done and how it turned out before I dive in etc.

Doing a bit of research my thoughts are to get some of the 4X6 retrofit glass lenses with H4 bulbs but looks like there are many different options and price levels.

Thanks in advance

A halogen bulb goes in a housing designed for a halogen bulb. Not LED. Not HID. If you want LED headlights they are already made in the 4x6 size. Buy that, don't "retrofit" into a halogen housing.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Ok yeah I kind of painted them all LED with one brush not understanding.

I guess what I'm looking at is a good H4 bulb upgrade with the retrofit glass housing then. Preferably one that fits without too much modification.

Do you want fluted (like OEM) lenses or 'free-form' (clear) lenses?
    Do you want SAE (North American) or ECE (Eurpoean) compliant? Or both?
    Are you going to make your own harness or do you want to buy a plug-and-play harness?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

OK I see this is one of those upgrades that has many different twists and turns

I would prefer to go with something close to stock looking for the headlight sealed beam appearance but actually be able to see LOL. Not knowing the details I suppose North american compliant would be a good thing. I can do wiring mods if necessary not a problem although prefer not to rewire everything.

Basically I want something significantly brighter than the stock ones but not necessarily the brightest made or to be blinding other drivers.

I have done a bit of searching trying to educate myself and have seen they make a H4666 glass casing which accepts H4 bulb and should physically retrofit without too much trouble...so i think this may be a good path to follow perhaps. I also understand they make different LED equivalents of H4 as an upgrade as well or am I mistaken ?

Thanks

Ok sorry the H4666 is just a number for a different headlight apparently.

What I'm looking at is the 4X6 compliant glass lenses and putting whatever bulbs in them.

Has anyone else gone this route and curious what they bought etc ?

I would recommend you visit or contact rallylights.com and look for Hella 'free-form' housings. Clear glass lense.
    The relay harness you need to buy or build goes between the new headlights and the original headlight pigtails. The new harness powers the lights directly from the battery and uses the original harness to control the relays.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I believe this is what you're looking for. I ordered the housings several months ago but haven't got around to doing the swap. It looks like the company no longer offers the housings, but there are others that look comparable. They're available on Ebay and Amazon.

https://youtu.be/7HlxezzKzfw
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Thanks I will check out the Hella ones

And yeah I ran across this guy on youtube in my searches. Looks interesting for sure. Let me know what you go with for bulbs.

Halogen housing with LED bulbs BooTube fail.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

New sealed beams and a relay upgrade can do wonders. Helps take the load off the headlight switch. Users have experienced upwards of 2 more volts at the headlight once the relays were installed.

I myself run hella h1 high beams (HLA-003177871) and hella h4 low beams (HLA-008888101) in my 87 Vic with a relay harness.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Halogen housing with LED bulbs BooTube fail.
    True, but some of the housings are specifically listed for LED (I doubt they are). But I'd have to think that running LED bulbs in the wrong housing has to do a better job than the stock setup, and much quicker/easier than rewiring with relays. A buddy has the sealed LED setup in his car and they are just too fugly for me lol!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I haven't really thought about doing this in the Stang...but I have done this in both my F350 and the wife's Excursion...installing the LED bulbs that is. I did a bunch of research on it prior and you want the LED bulb to mimic the halogen relative to the thin illuminating wire in the originals. You want something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAMTECH-H1...wAAOSw881Zt6Uc and not something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/H13-LED-Hea...AAAOSw5-lbhhqb and in addition somewhere close to 6K color and no fans. These made a HUGE difference in our trucks...which are notorious for bad headlights...and needed nothing more than the bulbs, no wiring harness convertors etc. You do have to watch that the bulbs are clocked correctly once installed. Another advantage to the LED bulbs is less heat and less energy draw, wo they're easier on the system...wiring harness, alternator, switch, etc. Will I install them in the Stang...probably not as it rarely gets driven at night and when it does, the extra oem driving lights in conjunction with the oem headlights seem to do the trick for me.
    Last edited by bwguardian; 06-20-2020 at 07:39 AM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Senior Member

These are LED projectors with a driving light and demon eye. You have to modify the buckets a bit to fit the large heat sinks in, and do a little wiring harness change, but they are vastly better than stock lights.