Close

Default Motor mounts - 1970 302 block in a 1981 Granada

Posted in general tech also.
    Car has 4 cyl crossmember which I understand to be the same as V8:

I tried searching, but didn't find much very recent.

Tried installing the 302 block (it's a 1970 year block) in the '81 Granada. I think I bought convertible mounts. I ground off the locating nub.

The mounts appear to be too 'thin'. With it sitting with both posts through the crossmember the mount surface is about 1/2" above the crossmember. And it appears to be all the way down. Thinking I should buy a set of non convertible mounts for say a 1989 GT? I found a pair made by Anchor. And Autozone has ones by MRC as well as their Duralast brand.

Or...

Should a buy a set of mounts that would have bolted the original 255 in the frame? In other words, a stock set of 1981 Granada V8 mounts? But when I look on-line those 255 mounts just don't look right.

Or....

Do I need a spacer of some type between the mount and crossmember?

We tried elongating the holes where they bolt to the block to move the mount slightly 'out' but to no avail.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Looking online the style (according to the pics) seems to change drastically. My block accepted the later model convertible mounts perfectly, the stock ones for a hatchback just look odd. Unless the pics are not accurate.

Maybe I will also post this in the other fox tech area too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

No expert on this particular situation, but the K-member's going to be the same between the I4 and V8.

Are the studs bottomed out on the slot in the motor mount pad on the K-member? Sounds like that's what it "wants". Do you have the space to set the engine lower?
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

The studs are both at the bottom of the teardrop shaped slot, yes, but the mount pads have a gap on both sides- stud at bottom of slot, but only part of stud extends down through so it's resting on the threads. As for lower it is getting pretty close to the crossmember/steering rack.

Sounds like I might be missing a piece. Sometimes starting from scratch can be a pain. I thought in the later years the mount bolted to the block with two 5/8 bolts and that dropped right down to the crossmember.

Anyone have a pic of a mount in an older (like my '81) frame?

Last edited by richpet; 06-18-2020 at 04:00 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

I think this is what I need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/87-93-Ford-...wAAOSwkNZUpvGA

I don't recall exactly what I had to do, but when I installed the 2.3T into my 4-cylinder Fairmont, I had to drill another hole or perhaps enlarge a hole to get the "modern" 4-cylinder mounts to fit up properly:

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    I don't recall exactly what I had to do, but when I installed the 2.3T into my 4-cylinder Fairmont, I had to drill another hole or perhaps enlarge a hole to get the "modern" 4-cylinder mounts to fit up properly:

Mike
    The later 2.3 mounts had an additional bracket from the factory that bolted to the K-member pad. It did indeed have a secondary mounting hole, that wasn't on the earlier K-members.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Getting it solved in general tech, thanks fellas! Or ladies.

Need to length the holes in the cross member, bring them down a touch.

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    Getting it solved in general tech, thanks fellas! Or ladies.

Need to length the holes in the cross member, bring them down a touch.
    That is what I was going to suggest, which is why I asked about how much room you had.

If the gap is even between the K-member and the mount and the stud is bottomed out on the hole, it wants to sit lower, which requires lengthening the slots.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Makes total sense. Just wasn't in my brain yesterday, which is one reason everyone here is so valuable.