Close

Default Starter recommendations

Hey guys, I’m looking to upgrade my stock starter on my 83. I swapped to a 347 and t5 last year and I don’t think it’s enough. I’m having heat problems from the headers and I think it draws too much power during cranking. I was just wondering what starters you guys are running. I was looking at the pa performance that lmr carries. When I install this new one I plan on installing a heat shield.

Make sure its the newer smaller lighter more powerful PMGR starter, with whatever you buy. PA performance alternators ive used in the past has been good quality.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

As mentioned above, definitely swap to the later model gear reduction style starter. More powerful and seems to have less heat related issues in my experience. Quality cables and good connections make a huge difference too. I generally run install an extra ground strap from the engine to the chassis near the starter or on the passenger side in addition to the regular ground strap on the back of the engine to the firewall and the negative battery cable. My extra ground strap goes from the block to either the K member or the frame rail. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I got my PMGR starter out of a Mountaineer at the junkyard. That's always an option.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

I had heat soak issue on a previous engine it was a ground issue

I removed 1 of the starter mounting bolts and used a eyelet crimp on end on both ends

The end to the starter fits over the fastener and tightens per design the other eyelet is smaller and I drilled and tapped a hole on k memebr and this cured my hot start
    9-8-1 compression 331

Basically drove to gas station fill up and have to wait to start it . I backed timing off to 8 degrees initial and still same hot start issue once I put this ground on it was set at 16 degrees initial and cranked as it did when cold

I can't comment on which starter just something to try and if your not looking to add a hole you can get creative with mounting
    Just keep it as close to the starter and as short as possible and good clean connection
    Mine is approx 8" long

Just swapped the starter out on the 85. After 230k the stock one was getting tired. the newer style one went in easily. Move one wire and add one wire.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the helpful knowledge.