Close

Default Local(ish) drag strips

I came across this YouTube video showing some racing at a track about an hour or so from me. KD Dragway in South Webster, OH. Not a lot of flat land around here, hence the hill at the end of the track. This is probably the closest one to me, not counting a small 100 yard track which is a little closer to me in West Virginia.

https://youtu.be/syvj0GGT19o

Curious if you guys might have some pics or video of your local tracks.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

So I'm guessing the one behind Wayne WV off HWY 52 and the one right off I 64 in Owingsville KY are both closed now? Sad. Had a lot of fun times at both back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    So I'm guessing the one behind Wayne WV off HWY 52 and the one right off I 64 in Owingsville KY are both closed now? Sad. Had a lot of fun times at both back in the day.
    The one in Wayne is still open, but it's a 100 yard short track. Owingsville is probably a hair further from me than this one in OH. Both open, to my knowledge, but I don't get there too often. I used to go to Kanawha Valley off RT 35 in Mason County WV, but that one closed a few years ago. Sad, since that's where I went most of my life. It was also close to me...maybe a 30 minute drive.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

St. Thomas Raceway Park is one of your go to tracks

Some of my friends are in this video.

https://youtu.be/8Zzol460TFM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

This is from 1997 when I drove my '89 GT from Northern Colorado to Central Oregon. The track is in Madras, Oregon, which is still in operation. It's an NHRA 1/8th mile track.

Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Don't have any vids to share but the one across the river from St. Lou is open.....web site- https://www.wwtraceway.com/

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

http://milandragway.com/racingschedu...n-w-funny-cars
    Raced the Cobra and the Ranger there early 2000's, two different days. Surprises on both. Hot weather too.
    Cobra engine was new and went easy with it. Wheel spin city, short shifts, slow time.
    Did pick up a full set of turbine rims with tires and the spare at the swap meet that day, 100.00. Barely fit inside!.
    Next took the 2.3 Ranger on All Ford Weekend. Dialed in at 19.00
    Raced a 14 sec T-bird. I got the win. He red lighted. Did not know until i picked up the time slip.
    Wish i could have heard the crowd when my lane's WIN lit up.

Early 1970's, raced my 1967 Mustang at Motor City Dragway, now gone. 3 for 3. Still have the trophies on mantle.
    'Take your class, win a trophy' night. 17 second runs. The whole neighborhood 'club' went. Had the slowest car.

1990's June weekend motor home racing trip to National Trails in Columbus Oh on Sat, NASCAR at MIS on Sun.
    Although none of us raced, had a total blast to remember forever. Beyond the sand pit, the end of track crosses a road.
    Rode on a gas powered picnic table with TF wing and ice cooler, seen to the left behind their pickup truck that hauled it.
    One of the best 100.00 ever spent. Gas, drinks, food, tickets. Split 3 ways. The 4th person provided the motor home.
    Name:  Trails MIS weekend sign Refugee rd 3030.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  6.0 KBName:  Trails MIS weekend sign 001.jpg
Size:  34.8 KBName:  Trails MIS weekend sat Refugee Rd SW 3030.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  12.7 KBName:  Trails MIS weekend TF picknic table.jpg
Size:  26.0 KBName:  Trails MIS weekend fleetwood 5050.JPG
Size:  15.1 KB

Nice tracks and stories, guys! I hope to get out and visit some here soon. The wife has been bugging me to go somewhere. I wonder if she'll be up for watching some races lol
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Nice tracks and stories, guys! I hope to get out and visit some here soon. The wife has been bugging me to go somewhere. I wonder if she'll be up for watching some races lol
    Kanawha Valley was really nice at one time. Pretty modern for it's day. Used to run my CBR900RR up there a lot because it was a fun ride up there and cheap on gas and so easy to run low 7s and 100 MPH in the 1/8 and then ride it back home. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Kanawha Valley was really nice at one time. Pretty modern for it's day. Used to run my CBR900RR up there a lot because it was a fun ride up there and cheap on gas and so easy to run low 7s and 100 MPH in the 1/8 and then ride it back home. Good times.
    Yes it was a great track. My understanding is that it was mismanaged into the ground. Such a waste. We need one somewhere between Huntington and Charleston. Unfortunately, the locals will boycott it because of the noise. I started looking into the cost of starting up a small track and it was just way too big of a venture.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

I would say the weather has a lot to do with how successful a track is. For instance, a track here in West Virginia would only be open about 7-8 months out of the year. And then, probably 25% of the race nights would be canceled due to rain. Further south and you could be open pretty much all year, right? I think I need to move south. I really envy the guys who get to drive their cars while mine are stored away for the winter.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Another track close to me going up for sale. The last time this happened, developer bought property and did away with the track.
    https://www.kimhillrealestate.com/-/...sburg-OH-45694

Edit: Forgot to mention this is KD Dragway... from the video posted in the original post.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

I live about 7 miles from Atco Raceway (Atco NJ). Even this many miles away at the house here, you can still hear the drags on warm Summer nights. Grew up here and clearly remember hearing them since I was a small kid - you can hear them way off in the distance. Even more so with the funnycars & jet cars etc, my goodness! I've felt the jetcars from inside the house. Went to many drag races and carshow/swapmeets along with my Dad & Uncles over the years (plus Englishtown Raceway Park & Maple Grove Raceway & Carlisle & Hershey too).

It's a shame, but last week I read that Atco Raceway just sold to a car auction company and it's likely to be turned into a auto storage facility! Unbelievable. Atco Raceway was built just a little ways into the New Jersey Pine Barrens (Wharton State Forest) conveniently halfway between Philadelphia & Atlantic City, which kind of isolated it a bit "out in the pines" - which was nice.

But over the years, many "city folk" types moved in and constantly bitched about the noise and all of the cars & motorcycles & loudspeakers & loud engines (and smell of burning rubber too lol) and there's been countless attempts to get the place shut down because of it. It's typical, move in next to something - then want to change it - or want it outright gone. Kind of sounds like what all of America is undergoing at this point, people moving here to be oppressed and demand it all be changed or torn down.

Just out of general interest - here's a screenshot of FourEyedPride member n20capri with his 1986 ASC McLaren Mercury Capri at Atco Raceway NJ

Name:  Atco Raceway NJ n20capri.PNG
Views: 25
Size:  766.1 KB

(Here's a link to his webpage and the video(s) from the screenshot)
    https://www.mikemartinelli.com/video...-capri-videos/
    #1) 1985 Mercury Capri 5.0L 4V 5-Speed T-Roof Motorsport Grand Prix IV
    #2) 1985 Mercury Capri 5.0L 4V 5-Speed T-Roof

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle