Close

Default How much better performance do Turbocoupe discs really give over drums?

I am considering picking up a Turbocoupe rear end, as I need a 8.8 and better gears than my stock 3.08s. I put 87-93 front brakes with hawk pads, stop tech vented rotors, and the MM braided steel lines and caliper bushings, and would like a rear up grade to complement it. I like my pony wheels so I am good staying 4 lug for a it.

So my question is how much better performance would Turbocoupe/93 Cobra rear discs really give over drums practically? How noticeable would braking performance improve in spirited street and light auto cross? Is the expense an effort worth the gain?

I am also considering buying a 86-93 rear end with 4.10 and just rebuilding the drums and putting the rear steel line. I am in the middle as to whether the 4.10 gears are more important, or the rear discs.

I would be using Hawk pads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by flinfantryrebel; 06-14-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    Tony

FEP Supporter

Personally I think my rear disc swapped '85 stops better than my stock drum '90 but the systems and cars are too different to make an apples to apples comparison. If I keep the '90 it will wind up with rear discs. In my opinion its worth the swap.

Initially, I went to rear discs as an ease of future maintenance thing. And in my case, the rear brakes were worn out so I would have been replacing it all anyway. I also waited to find some stuff used to keep the price down.
    '85 GT

I posted my results in post #138 that covers my rear drum upgrade. The entire tread covers the upgrades to the Fox brake systems. You may or may not find the additional info beneficial. It works perfect for me.

https://forums.corral.net/threads/ac....712809/page-7
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.